586,094 active members*
3,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need servo motor drive

I'm looking for a drive for my Hardinge CHNC lathe spindle. I'm installing a camsoft retrofit. Can someone tell me what product I need to order. I know nothing about drives.

I pulled the spindle motor and recorded all the name plate info:

MAGNA
    Permanent Magnet DC Servo Motor
    2 Monroe Ave.
    Pittsford, NY 14534
    H.K. Porter Co.
    Warren, OH

Model: 193-18-0025-0
    Frame: NR00166
    Encl: T.E.N.V.
    Duty: Cont.
    Ins.Cl. H
    Torque 242
    RPM 0
    JA-LB.IN.SEC.2(squared) .295
    Max RPM 3500
    Max Volts 118
    Max.Arm.Pulse Amp. 1094
    Tach. 31.5 Volts/1000 RPM
    Spec. IFC 34-1 (1969)
    Data Sheet K-8722
    BR. Volt. 90 D.C.

Karl

New they are worth a few bucks, there is a used hardinge spindle amp on eBay right now for over $1,500.00, and a new one will cost upwards of $3,000.00, if you want to go new, contact your local Baldor dealer and give him the specs.
    Perhaps a more cost effective way is to go VFD and a three phase motor, There are VFD's now that will come close to DC motor control with high torque at zero speed etc. if you go with a quality product like Mitsubishi or WEG.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Are you sure there's not a more reasonably priced option????

A VFD was my plan "A". Until I seen how little room there is for a spindle drive motor. The motor mounts on the end in a CHNC and must be a small diameter to fit. I've not seen a 3 phase motor in this arrangement. If they are made it would be a special order. And, I lose the brake on this motor.

Anyway, making a 3 phase motor fit will be a PITA at best. I'd rather just get a drive and avoid all the hassle.

Karl

Advanced Motion Controls have a PWM amp thats 100amp peak, 50amp continuous 100A25, You will need a large power supply however, if the old drive was SCR then there is no supply to be used from the old one, If it was PWM then you could salvage the supply from that.
    Otherwise I would imagine Ebay as the only cheap alternative, there are older SCR drives that come up periodically cheap ~$200.00.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.