586,119 active members*
3,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Opinions on Tormach tooling system

Opinions on Tormach tooling system

I am converting a Bridgeport now and I was thinking of using some Tormach tooling system tool holders. The price is very good compared to others I have seen. Can anyone comment on the quality/accuracy/repeatability/ease of tool changes? Is there anything better out there in the price range?

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    I am converting a Bridgeport now and I was thinking of using some Tormach tooling system tool holders. The price is very good compared to others I have seen. Can anyone comment on the quality/accuracy/repeatability/ease of tool changes? Is there anything better out there in the price range?
    For the price, you can't beat it.

Are you going to use the drawbar on your bridgeport? If you do, tool changes are a little on the slow side, but repeatability and accuracy is unbeatable.

If you plan on using a conventional drawbar, you can make it tight enough to hold the collet with less chance of pull down.

I use the TTS system on my PCNC1100 with the power drawbar and if used properly, it's a great system.

I say, GO FOR IT.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

The repeatability is everything they claim. Quite good.

People have built other quick change tooling systems for the R8 spindle. Specifically, Dave Decaussin has done interesting things by adding a pull stud to the R8 taper. I'd love to have his setup on my Tormach, since it would eliminate tool pullout.

TTS is the only commercially available system that I am aware of. And it has the advantage that it's pretty easy to make your own tool holders.

Frederic

The TTS system definitely has advantages. I started acquiring standard tooling with a 3/4" shank, instead of the R8, as it made tooling changes quicker on my manual Lagun. Then, added in some of the TTS tooling after the ATC holders came out. This progression worked out well, as it can all be used on my Tormach 1100. Quality, selection, and performance are great; and there is plenty of it being tested daily. When it comes to selecting tooling, consider future intentions for tooling requirements, to get the most from your current investment.

Jim

TTS is both accurate and very cost effective. I use TTS on both my Tormach PCNC and Rockwell manual mill with great efficacy. With TTS it's easy to make one's own toolholders either from 3/4" straight shank existing tool such as the TTS modified thread milling tool shown below, a TTS slitting saw from an inexpensive TTS blank, a threaded TTS arbor for a Flynn boring head made from an inexpensive TTS blank, a TTS Z-axis zero reference TDI, or modifying a Procunier tap head to work with TTS. A big advantage and what makes TTS so versatile is the 3/4" straight shank. One can mount a TTS blank in a 3/4" 5C collet on the lathe (or right in the Tormach spindle) to easily machine or modify TTS toolholders, TTS blanks or modify 3/4" straight shank tools.

Don

I like to use the TTS holders on a manual bridgeport even when I don't care about height accuracy. Sometimes it is even faster than using the Tormach. One example would be drilling and tapping a bunch of holes:

Put regular 3/4 r8 collet in mill
    Put in a TTS holder with a center finder, FINGER TIGHT ON DRAWBAR.
    Pull down the quill to locate a hole or feature.
    Pop out this holder, put in the TTS drill chuck, TOKEN LIGHT CRANK ON THE DRAWBAR.
    Drill
    Pop out tool holder, put in 1/2" end mill holder, FINGER TIGHT.
    Put in tap wrench, tap away.

The main drawback is that it increases tool extension, so it is more likely to pull out or chatter when taking big cuts. If I need to do heavy roughing with a 3/8 end mill, I use a regular R8 collet in the Tormach.

Thanks. Sounds like it is a winner.

I will not be using a power drawbar right away, but might add one sometime in the future. I am thinking that at some point I might try to make a rack to hold a bunch of the tools on the table for auto tool changes. Anyone done that before?