586,117 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > editing operation libraries

editing operation libraries

saved some operations that i would like to delete to an operation library. i can edit them but not delete them. i want to delete a few of the operations i saved but not all of them. can this be done?

Not sure I understand the explanation or question.

Save the ones you want to keep to a new library and then delete the old library?

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Not sure I understand the explanation or question.

Save the ones you want to keep to a new library and then delete the old library?
    what you wrote looks like the only choice i can see.

"Open with" that operations library with Mcam.
    ( basically if you re-name the .OPERATION file to .MCX-5 you can open it like a normal session.
    or
    open mcam, go to the "Files" page in the op manager and for the operation library, navigate to the directory, and use the ! to open a "mini" op manager to edit that library

.... these choices also apply to the .DEFAULT files so to preset fields to your liking
    ie setting the 2D _Contour ( Ramp) and then turning OFF the Linearize helix check mark, then set the 2D Chamfer fields, then set the contour type back to 2D...do this to have the pre-set if you switch to that type

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    "Open with" that operations library with Mcam.
    ( basically if you re-name the .OPERATION file to .MCX-5 you can open it like a normal session.
    or
    open mcam, go to the "Files" page in the op manager and for the operation library, navigate to the directory, and use the ! to open a "mini" op manager to edit that library
    helpful and will make it easier. when you go to the "files" page you have operation defaults and operation library. what is the difference? they look the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph Jackman View Post
    helpful and will make it easier. when you go to the "files" page you have operation defaults and operation library. what is the difference? they look the same to me.
    Defaults
    When you create a new operation in the op manager, the fields are either preset from a similar previous op ( created in this session) or brought in fron the actual default operation ( I think the last comment is more correct )
    You could have a series of Default files setup for the different materials or even machines, ie depth of cuts, stepovers etc say heavy DOC/steps for a BT50 type machine, & very light DOCs + stepovers for a tinny router

Operation Library
    where you store (export) previously created ops that could be imported into a new session and only have different geometry to select to get a correct path ( there are additional features that can be used like bring in geometry with the op ----no solid features can be done in this manner )
    ie a file that has a series of ops that Spot, Drill, C'Bore, Chamfer & Tap a certain size hole---all you would need to do is add a points to the 1st operation & then drag ( & replace) onto all the other ops then regen,,,you may have to add/delete ops to suit the situation, maybe also Top of Stocks & Depths

I am not sure what is so confusing about this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails operations_library.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Defaults

You could have a series of Default files setup for the different materials or even machines, ie depth of cuts, stepovers etc say heavy DOC/steps for a BT50 type machine, & very light DOCs + stepovers for a tinny router
    thanks. this is finally starting to makes sense to me. in the other cam program we use everything is feature driven and all your data is stored in a microsoft access database and gets assigned to a feature. mastercam does not seem to work on the same concept and this confuses me at times.

so it seems in mastercam I could have different defaults for different materials and different machines as well as different operations libraries for different materials and different machines. when starting to program a part i would switch to the appropriate defaults and the appropriate operations library.

I am not sure what is so confusing about this.
    it does not take much to confuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph Jackman View Post

so it seems in mastercam I could have different defaults for different materials and different machines as well as different operations libraries for different materials and different machines. when starting to program a part i would switch to the appropriate defaults and the appropriate operations library.
    Yes, you could call it "setting up a profile". You could set up a certain machine with a certain tool library and certain operation library for each part, or each type of part.

Yes, you could call it "setting up a profile". You could set up a certain machine with a certain tool library and certain operation library for each part, or each type of part.
    that's what i am after. getting closer.

Unless you have dozens of parts in a family to program, I can't imagine the prep time to set all that up will allow for an equal decrease in programming time. I can see how it would help keep things in logical steps so that programming was more consistent and less likely to skip operations and make other mistakes.