586,058 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Cheap Chinese Pendant - Modbus MPG for Mach 3

Cheap Chinese Pendant - Modbus MPG for Mach 3

Hey Guys;
    I just purchased a pendant for use with Mach3 that is Modbus controlled. I followed the installation instructions (which I'll attach) and have some functions working. It uses Comm1 and Modbus which I know very little to nothing about. Any help will be appreciated.
    The buttons on the unit for feed, spindle, homing, step and cont work but eh MPG does not. All lights blink (at all times) which I have not clue if that is correct.
    If some of the functions work, is this a sign that he comm port is working? It seems to me that if the comm port was not working, there would not be any communications!
    I'll attach a pix of the unit and the pdf file with the installation instructions along with the macropump file. Can someone with a bit more knowledge please look and help me out (if possible).
    Thanks.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pendant.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Hey Bill,

I have the same problem. When you set it up in the config screen it will show an crc error right? Did you also tried the delivered mach 3 version that they supply? I did but same effect. I am afraid that this is just the really cheap Chinese (not working) pendant. I also hope someone can help out. O by the way Bill check the setting screen in Mach 3... I saw that moving the wheel it will count down or up so also the encoder is working at my side. Can be just the software version of the Eeprom or maybe the hardware they used.

Hope to see an answer as well..

Peter
    (Holland)

Hey Peter;
    I kind of gave up on the pendant until I have time to trouble shoot the darn thing. I did purchase one of the wireless units and installed it. It uses the drivers from the shuttle pro reconfigured for the new hardware. So far, it is looking OK but I really have not had enough time with it to provide a good opinion. After I work with it a while, I'll report back. I kind of thought that the cheap mod bus was a bit too good to be true. Guess you get what you pay for!!@#$%^&*(.'
    Thanks for the info and have a great day.
    Bill
    billyjack

I just installed one. The communication settings seem to work with 19200bps and 8-2-N. The 8-1-O caused CRC error all the time, so I tried the other parities and that seems to work ok.

Otherwise install was like in manual. Copied the macro to the correct directory (profile directory under macros). Set the settings in mach3 dialongs.

Other buttons work ok, emergency stop on pendant does not work. The flashing selection leds are annoying but can live with them, considering the price of the pendant.

Thanks Viilari!
    I'll try the new parameters this weekend if I can find the thing! Disappointing projects tend to get lost in my shop!
    Thanks again.
    Bill
    billyjack

Re: Cheap Chinese Pendant - Modbus MPG for Mach 3

Anyone have any success with this cheap, and I mean that in the worst sense, MPG garbage from china?
    I have a laptop running mach3 on it, No parallel port, no serial port, just USB.

This mpg is plugged into the USB, which I gather is just to power it, and the Serial port is pluged into a USB-to-Serial adapter. E-Stop and all other buttons seems to function, but the handwheel does nothing.

I have the baud rate at 19200, parity and such , I tried 8-1-N, 8-1-0, All of them. Nothing works.

Anyone out there know how to get this working?