586,102 active members*
2,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Counterbalance top up

hi, i have a VFOE, and the nitrogen counterbalance needs topping up.

i have bought some dry nitrogen and borrowed a haas regulator, but would like a step by step way of topping up the counterbalance tank.

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadjam View Post
    hi, i have a VFOE, and the nitrogen counterbalance needs topping up.

i have bought some dry nitrogen and borrowed a haas regulator, but would like a step by step way of topping up the counterbalance tank.

thanks!!
    The nitrogen tank mounted on the machine should list out required PSI for different machines, find the pressure listed for your machine.

- Jog the Z-Axis all the way to the top (+)
    - The hose end that connects to the machine will have a schrader valve with a T hande, make sure it is all the way open counter clockwise.
    - Connect both ends of the hoses
    - I usually charge without a regulator but sssslllllooooooowwwwlllllyyyyyy crack open the nitrogen fill tank just enough until you hear it filling.
    - Charge to the recommended pressure (I usually go 50psi over as it usually drops when disconnecting and jogging up/down the first time.)

- When recommended pressure is reached, close valve on nitrogen fill tank, crack open the hose connection to relieve any pressure left in hose, then completely remove hose.

- I like to cycle Z-Axis up/down and recheck pressure

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    The nitrogen tank mounted on the machine should list out required PSI for different machines, find the pressure listed for your machine.

- Jog the Z-Axis all the way to the top (+)
    - The hose end that connects to the machine will have a schrader valve with a T hande, make sure it is all the way open counter clockwise.
    - Connect both ends of the hoses
    - I usually charge without a regulator but sssslllllooooooowwwwlllllyyyyyy crack open the nitrogen fill tank just enough until you hear it filling.
    - Charge to the recommended pressure (I usually go 50psi over as it usually drops when disconnecting and jogging up/down the first time.)

- When recommended pressure is reached, close valve on nitrogen fill tank, crack open the hose connection to relieve any pressure left in hose, then completely remove hose.

- I like to cycle Z-Axis up/down and recheck pressure

Good luck!
    thanks!!

when filling with nitrogen, do you have to turn the tank on the machine the other way round so the oil doesnt drip out??

thanks!!

when filling with nitrogen, do you have to turn the tank on the machine the other way round so the oil doesnt drip out??
    No, the schrader valve for the tank on the machine will keep everything in kind of like a check valve. The nitrogen pressure from the fill bottle will open it up to allow it to charge. When you close the fill bottle valve and bleed off the pressure in the hose, you will get nothing but a little bit of nitrogen. It will bleed off in a few seconds, nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    No, the schrader valve for the tank on the machine will keep everything in kind of like a check valve. The nitrogen pressure from the fill bottle will open it up to allow it to charge. When you close the fill bottle valve and bleed off the pressure in the hose, you will get nothing but a little bit of nitrogen. It will bleed off in a few seconds, nothing to worry about.
    ok, just to clarify!

when recommended pressure is correct, you turn off the valve on the nitrogen tank, then you slowely disconnect the hose from the machine end first or the nitrogen tank end first???

also if the regulator doesnt show up on monday, what order do i connect the hose to the machine and nitrogen fill tank??

ok, just to clarify!

when recommended pressure is correct, you turn off the valve on the nitrogen tank, then you slowely disconnect the hose from the machine end first or the nitrogen tank end first???

also if the regulator doesnt show up on monday, what order do i connect the hose to the machine and nitrogen fill tank??
    When connecting or disconnecting hose, it does not matter which end goes on first.

many thanks for your info.

all filled up without a hitch!!!