586,096 active members*
3,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arclight Dynamics plasma tables?

Looking to see if anyone has any feed back on doing business with Arclight Dynamics? - CNC Plasma system by Arclight Dynamics

Looks like nice stuff.
    2005 Haas TM-1, 4th HRT160 - OneCNC XR4 Pro w/4th - Alibre Design Expert
    Metal-tech 4x4 - www.metaltech4x4.com

I don't have an arclight table but I do know he supports it very well. We did a retrofit of a Dynatorch table to the same electronics that arclight uses and he was a big help to us (I imagine support is even better if you have one of their tables). check out his how-to videos, They are ground floor learning that gets you up to speed. We are an industrial cutting company and find this system to be very durable and easy to use.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

I have one, I will start a thread for you

Re: Arclight Dynamics plasma tables?

Just got my ArcLight Dynamic table set up last weekend. The support has been great and getting the table setup and running was very easy. It *is* worth the time to watch the tutorial videos that they've made.

There are lots of nuances to all of the software tools, it takes time to be "great" at this - but I was able to take an image, outline it, and produce it without too much hassle.

Still working on tuning the engraver attachment...

I purchased the ArcLight Dynamic 5x5 table (bigger than you think!), hypertherm 65, engraver and filter. The integration is well worth it.

G

If you are serious about getting one I would STRONGLY recommend if you can going to visit ArcLight and do their training. I did it after I had the table for a while and I was amazed at how much I had been doing the hard way. Engraving was good example. Spent 5 minutes with Scott and couldn't believe how simply it was to engrave and cut in the one process and I have been putting part numbers on everything ever since. Biggest issue I had after that was getting a stick font until Scott pointed out it was available in the SheetCam software already ... Doh ..

If you have any questions I can help you with let me know, I have been running the machine for over 2 years now and still use it everyday ...

I got the engraver on my table as well. I am having a bit of trouble getting that set up - but Scott and team are helping me work through it. I have a drawing that has the engraver pattern on a separate layer from the plasma. I then create two tools in sheetcam - one for the engraver (first) then one for the plasma. This will do the engrave and cut in one session. Is there an easier way?

I've found the table to be VERY easy to use, the software takes some getting used to - but that is to be expected. Arclight has video online (I've watched all of them...) have you created path rules etc to optimize for holes and outside corners?

Thanks for responding...

Oh here is a masquerade mask I cut on the table...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6i...ature=youtu.be

Having a blast with this!

G

Quote Originally Posted by GEON View Post
    I got the engraver on my table as well. I am having a bit of trouble getting that set up - but Scott and team are helping me work through it. I have a drawing that has the engraver pattern on a separate layer from the plasma. I then create two tools in sheetcam - one for the engraver (first) then one for the plasma. This will do the engrave and cut in one session. Is there an easier way?

I've found the table to be VERY easy to use, the software takes some getting used to - but that is to be expected. Arclight has video online (I've watched all of them...) have you created path rules etc to optimize for holes and outside corners?

Thanks for responding...

Having a blast with this!

G
    Hi G, I am a little confused in relation to you saying you created a drawing that has the pattern on a separate layer to the plasma. I say this because of the word create. Do you mean you made a DXF then imported into SheetCam and then split the layers ? If so this is exactly what I do and it works like a dream.

The tools are already setup you just have to remember what you select the plate marker to set the lead in to 0 and have it on zero offset ie on the line.

Once done set the engrave path first and then the cut path. If I am doing a big job I will add a small cross hair in the corner so I have a datum point should the plate marker move the material before the plasma.

The key to getting good result is having the material well clamped down, I also often use WD40 or some other mild lubricant spray or splash water on it to reduce the plate marker digging in to the material. On the Arclight CNC you can vary this by the small valve which makes a huge difference.

Making Custom Tow'd Dash - YouTube

Yes, I put the engraver outline on a different layer using Inkscape. Then I created a tool using sheetcam to marry that layer to the engraver, then another layer/tool combo to cut the outline. Yes - setting the lead-in to 0 on the engraver is easy to forget - but important.

Thanks for sharing the video! Your creative clamps are a good idea, as it spritzing the surface with wd40... I had too much downforce on the slide initially - made the entire sheet move around...

You run the water level pretty low - is that by design?

Thanks!

G

Quote Originally Posted by GEON View Post
    Yes, I put the engraver outline on a different layer using Inkscape. Then I created a tool using sheetcam to marry that layer to the engraver, then another layer/tool combo to cut the outline. Yes - setting the lead-in to 0 on the engraver is easy to forget - but important.

Thanks for sharing the video! Your creative clamps are a good idea, as it spritzing the surface with wd40... I had too much downforce on the slide initially - made the entire sheet move around...

You run the water level pretty low - is that by design?

Thanks!

G
    Yeah Ok I do the layers in SheetCam not external.

The water is low for one reason SOCAL lol it goes from full to that in a about a week and if I know I am cutting timber or doing minimal cutting I let it run dry to save surface rust issues on the material I leave on it all the time. It is in a well vented area so no real problem.

The setup Arclight put into SheetCam with all the tool settings etc made it very easy and I find most of them spot on. I am guessing Scott has spent some time getting them right over the years.