586,068 active members*
3,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Alloy wheels

Page 1 of 2 12

Alloy wheels

Just finnished the first one for my Nitro Rustler, manually turned on my little Taig lathe (which is in need of replacement now), but CNC'd logo and drive nuts on the rear. Let me know what you think!

Looks good. I would polish them before mounting the tire, would make them look even nicer. How long did one wheel take to make?

Ah, the killer question! Unfortunately my Taig lathe is not built for this size of part, so it was slooow going. Took about 4hrs to make 1 wheel. most of that time was spent gouging out the insides of the wheel, due to my max cut of around 0.2mm per pass.

Did you break the lathe on the wheel?

Nice job!

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Looks good Kong!

Funny this is, I'm about to have some aluminum wheels for the rustler made too. 4 spoke twisted on the electric model.

Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Balsaman, funny you should say that, the machine was vibrating so bad today on the second pair of wheels, I wanted to damage the lathe myself
    Oh well, after much frustration I got them all done:

Cold fusion, how are you finnishing your wheels? I would like to have a go at making some to sell, but don't fancy paying to get just a couple of sets anodised. What is your opinion on leaving them as polished only, on 6082 aluminium? One more thought, instead of milling the hex-nut holder on the back of the wheel, how about just milling a slot to take the drive pin, and leave out the hex-nut altogether?

I think we'll have them polished to a high shine.

I've thought about that but we have a special change being done that requires a hex there.
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Those are beautiful wheels kong. Nice Job. I want my lathe...still saving.

E
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

is there any way possible to get a email from oen of you guy about your setup.. i have a lot of questions i would love to make wheels for my nitro rustlers also.. i have 2 truck and buying wheels every months sucks.. my whle truck is almost all aluminum and carbon fiber so my wheels are my weak link.. and i rather make my own instead of buying..

thanks in advanced..

Vesport, no probs, PM me, or just post your questions to the forums. There are many poeple here, more experienced than myself, that will help you
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Eventually I will be able to make wheels like that. Looks great!!!
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

Quite complex, but well worth it. Here are a another set I have made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Menace_Wheels.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

SWEET!!!!

I need to learn how to do that....
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

Great looking wheels Kong, especially the second set shown above. However, have you taken into account the balance factor as far less material is removed to make the word "cnc" than the word "craft" on the other side? Multiply that imbalance by the super high rpm your wheels are turning and it won't be doing any favours to your bearings and handling for that matter. Maybe you've already removed or added material to balance it and I just didn't see it.
    Skippy

Those wheels look excellent. It's things like that that make me really want to get on with my mill conversion. Hopefully when it's done, I can also post photos of cool things like that!

Regards
    Warren

can you help me?

hey I was wondering if anyone could help me make some parts for my rc nitro motorcycle on the cnc. thanks alot tim. please e-mail me at [email protected]

btw great looking wheels!

Hi Crispmotorwerkz. (and welcome!) After hanging around cnczone for a while, you'll soon realise that for about half after people here, the interest in cnc is only the common thread that binds us together and the real interest is in the thousand and one things that we do or make using our cnc skills. In your case, it's your rc nitro motorcycle. I for one would love to see some picies of that one and a bit of an explanation too. Cool project! Do you get the feeling I'm putting you under pressure here? I hope so!
    Phil

haha its ok i will indeed upload pictures for all of you! but when i get teh free time i have to run!

Hey kong,
    I love those wheels!

Page 1 of 2 12