586,121 active members*
3,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New VF-2 SS Glitch ??

I've got a newer (10/2011) VF-2 SS that seems to have a software bug. Running Software V18.05 I believe.. I'm at home right now, so don't have it right in front of me. When you stop a running program, then jog the Z up, once in a while it will move in the X or Y about 1/2" or so before moving up in Z. It has done it enough times for me to know I am not crazy. The first couple of times I wasn't sure

Just something to keep a look out for out there. It has not caused any problems for me, because luckily every time it has happened the tool was above the part.

Do you actually mean "jog" as in manual jog mode? Or do you mean rapid Z+ in a program? Would like to see the program. Would also be cool to see a video of the machine movement as well as the DRO of the machine when this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Do you actually mean "jog" as in manual jog mode? Or do you mean rapid Z+ in a program? Would like to see the program. Would also be cool to see a video of the machine movement as well as the DRO of the machine when this happens.
    As I said, when you stop a running program...... Then Jog up up the Z axis, which would be handle jog.... It has nothing to do with a program as it has done it to myself and other guys in the shop as well on while working on different jobs on that machine. It will not repeat.. It has randomly done it maybe 4 or 5 times over the last 6 months.

I have 9 Haas mills, the first one I bought new in 1994. I'm a little familiar with how they operate. I also have a former Haas Tech working in my shop, who is still factory certified, that say's it's a software issue. This particular machine is only 6 months old, and already had to have the software updated because of some issue with the alter button. Now it's a different bug. I hope they get it figured out because I have another mill on order right now.

As a test, I would write a simple program that has moves in +X, -X, -Y and +Y and try stopping the program in each direction and then seeing if the machine messes up the +Z in jog. It almost seems that it is staying in the previous axis movement for a brief time. Since most of the time programs are stopped in a Z+ move, it would not show up often.

I certainly see where that issue can cause some big problems with damaged parts and broken tools.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by CaboWaboKJB View Post
    As I said, when you stop a running program...... Then Jog up up the Z axis, which would be handle jog.... It has nothing to do with a program as it has done it to myself and other guys in the shop as well on while working on different jobs on that machine. It will not repeat.. It has randomly done it maybe 4 or 5 times over the last 6 months.

I have 9 Haas mills, the first one I bought new in 1994. I'm a little familiar with how they operate. I also have a former Haas Tech working in my shop, who is still factory certified, that say's it's a software issue. This particular machine is only 6 months old, and already had to have the software updated because of some issue with the alter button. Now it's a different bug. I hope they get it figured out because I have another mill on order right now.
    As I am about to say, I had no clue how much experience you might have. I had no clue how many in your crew had this experience. That is one reason to ask questions. Asking questions was not intended to make you look stupid. Asking questions was to clarify information, to make sure that communication was going well. I would be surprised if Haas did not or does not ask you the same questions. I will keep any other comments on his subject to myself so as not to further offend your extreme experience and intelligence.

I have this happen to me all the time on DT1s, brand new. I notice it happens when I go from memory to handle, then change axis. I will get the XY or Z to do the random move not just Z. I think my fingers are too fast....

Just to add more, now that I am thinking about it, I think it has to do with the whole new setup key crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CaboWaboKJB View Post
    I've got a newer (10/2011) VF-2 SS that seems to have a software bug. Running Software V18.05 I believe.. I'm at home right now, so don't have it right in front of me. When you stop a running program, then jog the Z up, once in a while it will move in the X or Y about 1/2" or so before moving up in Z. It has done it enough times for me to know I am not crazy. The first couple of times I wasn't sure

Just something to keep a look out for out there. It has not caused any problems for me, because luckily every time it has happened the tool was above the part.
    Call your dealer and explain the problem to them. See if they will do a software upgrade to alleviate the problem. If that doesn't work, maybe they can get the factory involved to come up with a solution.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    txcncman;
    Do you have ANY experience with Haas, at all? Do you own a Haas? Have you worked with a Haas? Have you seen a Haas? Answering questions with questions is like throwing straw at fire. Completely counter-productive. From what I have read, that is all you post.

Regards, Robert
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    txcncman;
    Do you have ANY experience with Haas, at all? Do you own a Haas? Have you worked with a Haas? Have you seen a Haas? Answering questions with questions is like throwing straw at fire. Completely counter-productive. From what I have read, that is all you post.

Regards, Robert
    Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

I have the same issue on my 2011 DT1. The only fix for it that I have found it that you need to slow down, and hit the button twice for the axis you want to jog. Now my 2010 VM2 does not do this. I have only snapped 2 tools off. Tech that was in for the leaking coolant had no idea regarding the issue.

I was going through old threads and came back across this one. Just to follow up, the problem was fixed with a software update to the machine. All is well.

I can confirm this issue. It has been happening every now and then with both of our (2010 and 2012) VF3-SS machines. Its kind of scary when you work in a hurry.

I have destroyed couple indicator tips because of this (trying to jog Z+ after finding the part edge in X or Y)...