586,535 active members*
3,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

newbie question

forgive how vague this question is, but I am not a machinist, probably never will never be able to call myself one, but I do have some questions. In my undergrad research I have been running various design scenarios to optimize parts in terms of their weight, but i think it would be helpful to have some knowledge on what type of cnc machine it would take to produce one of these parts. Take a look at this link
    The two hubs pictures at the top of the page are 6061T6, about 12 inch diameter and 3-4 inch depth. Is there one machine that would be used to machine this part? Would I be correct in assuming it would be a milling machine/milling center etc...? What are some common brands or machine models that are capable of producing such a part, and what is the probable price range for a used unit with tooling etc...Any insight you guys can give would be fantastic!!!

Probably the center hole and main outer contour and diameter would done a CNC lathe and the subsequent stud locations and lightening would be done in a second operation on a Vertical Milling Center.

As far as producing these kinds of parts the tolerances come into play as to the types of machines that could handle this. I suspect the center bore and mounting flange is the tight tolerance areas, the rest is probably somewhat less important.

You're right about the center bore etc... I know on a similar model the tolerances of the bore are given as: between 2.4965in. and 2.4975in. About a year ago I had the opportunity to see the production of the similar model hub by the manufacturer, but stupid me, I was too busy looking at another machine to ask questions. I do recall that the machine was a rather large, "enclosed" unit. Would this likely be a vertical milling center? I was also under the impression that all of the machining was accomplished with one machine....does that even seem possible? Also do these milling centers come in a smaller variety, or are they all the size of a minivan?

i have made similar hubs to those in a vertical mill in two operations using mastercam to compile a code for me. but if the shop that was gonna make them was smart they would do the sepeate op in the lathe to take out the excesse material to cut the machining time down.
    haas makes a new mini mill that would work perfect for those size parts. tolerances shouldnt be an issue with the right tooling.
    pretty sharp looking hub. good luck
    CHADWIGGAN