586,065 active members*
4,340 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > VistaCNC iMach 3 Spindle Tachometer causing inconsistent spindle speed

VistaCNC iMach 3 Spindle Tachometer causing inconsistent spindle speed

Hey all,

I just installed the VistaCNC iMach 3 Spindle Tach (info here) and I'm having an odd problem. When the spindle tach is plugged in, there is no readout in the RPM DRO and the spindle speed override fluctuates by itself, causing the spindle speed to increase and decrease wildly. When the tach USB is unplugged, everything behaves normally.

Anyone else ever encountered this problem? Any advice? I need to (a) make the tach stop controlling the spindle speed - it should only observe the actual speed, and (b) make the true speed appear in the RPM DRO.

I'm using Mach3 with the standard 1024 screenset and a Novakon NM-145 mill if that helps.

Thanks!

Smile

NOTE
    o In some Mach3 versions (Between 3.042.030 and 3.042.040), the measured
    RPM could not be displayed in RPM DRO (True Spindle DRO) in Mach3 default
    Screen.
    o A modified screen called 1024_RPM.set within the zipped file can be used to
    display the measured RPM. Screen 1024_RPM .set is based on 1024.set. The
    only modification is that the RPM DRO number is changed from 39 to 2222.
    o To use 1024_RPM.set, put 1024_RPM.set in Mach3 folder. In Mach3
    application, click “view”, select “load screen”. In iMach3 Spindle Tach plugin
    configuration, select Use User DRO and set DRO to 2222.

in configuration menu try to make higher value to spindle measured RPM
    or change the action to NONE.

If the spindle speed is flucuating after setup check your spindle speed signal shielding. (Only one side connect to ground)

Update

I loaded the 1024_RPM screenset and it now properly displays measured RPM, however when the tachometer is plugged in and enabled, I still get inconsistent speed.

Each time I set it up to troubleshoot it seems to behave a little differently. Sometimes the spindle override speed will change, sometimes the feed rate override will change, and one time the X-axis began to move on its own. Definitely something wrong, and it must be a software conflict rather than faulty hardware, but I have not yet been able to isolate the cause.

Hey all,

It's been a while since I last attempted to diagnose this spindle tach problem, as I've been busy with other tasks, but here it is again.

I'd like to figure out whether or not the spindle tach itself is faulty or if there is a conflict with my mill (which is pretty quirky in it's own right). Does anyone know of a 3rd party program I could use to get a DRO on the tachometer's measurement besides Mach3? I'd like to attach it to another computer and see if I can get it to measure the RPM of a small motor I'm testing, but I only have Mach3 installed on the mill computer. Is there a simple way I can measure the signal coming from the tach without the Mach3 screenset?

Thanks!