586,655 active members*
2,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Forces when drilling?

Hi!
    Designing a cnc router for a school project. The plan is to move the table in the x-direction. Im am currently looking into what kind of bearing i should use for the table. So Im thinking I need to know how much force the drilling will cause on the table so I can chose a bearing that will cover the force applied.
    The plan is to cut in aluminum.

The only thing I am interested in is the vertical force when drilling, or is this information something I don't have to pay any attentions to?

Im thinking about using SBR Supported Linear Rails and they should be able to take 375lbs ~ 1.7kN per block. The table weight about 20kg.
    I think of a safety factor of 3-4 is good to use. So that gives 1.7kN for the whole table, 4 blocks). Maby it wont be a problem but i kind of need some calculation that prove it as this is a school project.

Appreciate any help in this matter...

What is a normal feed-rate when drilling?

Any suggestion?

Thank you! Exactly what i needed!

R1kkie if your teacher is any good then the project includes not only design and or build of a project but especially the aspect of learning how to find the information you need and how to disseminate fact from fiction and what applies to the current problem,then you need to demonstrate planning especially in design stages,most things need to be done in specific stages.
    For instance you do not harden something before you machine it or drill and tap a hole,Aspects like this are how you get top grades.
    Study your subject think outside the square,just because that is the way things have always been done does not mean everything has been invented already.

Even as a Student you may well be the person who comes up with a new method or design or a better approach to making something currently in production,This is what a good teacher will be looking for,not just another clone who only thinks the same as everyone else.
    The fact you are here shows an application of effort,therefore I give you with good will a few helpfull pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coxsteve View Post
    R1kkie if your teacher is any good then the project includes not only design and or build of a project but especially the aspect of learning how to find the information you need and how to disseminate fact from fiction and what applies to the current problem,then you need to demonstrate planning especially in design stages,most things need to be done in specific stages.
    For instance you do not harden something before you machine it or drill and tap a hole,Aspects like this are how you get top grades.
    Study your subject think outside the square,just because that is the way things have always been done does not mean everything has been invented already.

Even as a Student you may well be the person who comes up with a new method or design or a better approach to making something currently in production,This is what a good teacher will be looking for,not just another clone who only thinks the same as everyone else.
    The fact you are here shows an application of effort,therefore I give you with good will a few helpfull pointers.
    First, I have had some very very very very bad teachers........................ but also good ones.

I actually don't know how to read your text properly. :S Was it positive or negative criticism?
    I am from Sweden and my English isnt the best.
    I completely agree with you about thinking outside the box. But I also have in mind, why invent the wheel again? I don't mean to copy anything but its a good start to look at others work to get inspiration and then use it to come up with ideas for a design.