586,117 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Resources for Milling Education

Resources for Milling Education

Where does one find information about milling from knowing nothing to get started in milling?

My background is Hardware and Software. I can program/build anything to do anything. But the concepts and best practices of milling is something I know nothing about. I am interested in learning everything I can about machining, as I am trying to start my first project. I just was curious how a noob gets started on the real education of machining.

I have built my hardware platform as a 3 axis controlled, 1U rackmount chassis and it currently is not hooked to a mill. I'll get that in a week or so. I am just watching the stepper motors move (unattached to anything) when I run Gcode thru Mach2. It's fun, but I think I am ready to get into my new hobby a little further.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to a book or DVD series or the like, I'd appreciate a response.

I will be working with aluminum machining small parts to start. I will probably buy a HF Micro Mill to start playing with, then use it to maybe build up a gantry mill...

Thanks,
    Rob.

Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

http://technicalvideorental.com/rental_10.html

I found this the other day there's a boatload of info to get you started. :banana:

If you are just starting out, you might want to check out 'The Home Machinists Handbook' by Doug Briney. It is focused on small sherline type machines, and has details and pictures on just about every page. It starts out with a section on the measuring tools you need, and then moves on to speeds/feeds, and how to make some workholding tools.

I got it from the Sherline page, when I got a mini mill from them a long time ago.
    They put up a bunch of cool information that helped me get going, so I bought some of their stuff.
    Here is a couple links:

www.sherline.com
    http://www.sherline.com/workshop.htm
    http://www.sherline.com/tips.htm

Hi Rob

A good start also is to get to know ya Gcode. Alot of people put all their faith in the software creating a toolpath for them, and then when they go to run their first bit of work they wonder why they are snapping bits and the machine is going all over the place.

Your machine is due in a coupla weeks, but you got your motors there.

Draw up a few different shapes from squares to circles, look at the gcode, look at how the depth settings are settings are controlled, what the M codes do when your controller software comes across them.

You won't trully know what depths and how many passes ya gonna use for each different material until you actually start experimenting and get used to the sound of your machine.
    May sound crazy the sound of your machine!, but the experienced guys on hear can tell you just by the sound that their machines are making, to whether it is performing correctly.

It's fun and its all about experimenting with your machine and what it is capable of is the fun part, changing your spindle speed by a fraction or altering the feed rate to make your machine cut smoother and make your cutting bits last longer can give you a buzz, rather than just chucking it all on there and cringing, wandering if that just cost you another few quid as the material or bits bite the dust.

My tip is always start off with slow feed rates on all materials and light depth cuts, and then increase and push your machine to the limit. When you reached that limit, drop it back to a comfortable limit and make a note, because the next bit of material you gonna cut might be a different grade and a different method.

Now when it comes to women, it upto you because these tips are for ya machine, OK!!

Regards

Sean.