586,094 active members*
4,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 5T parameter question for Mori TL-3A

Fanuc 5T parameter question for Mori TL-3A

Hello!

We have a, new to us, Mori Seiki TL-3A s/n 506 lathe controlled by a Mori II Fanuc System 5T (non CRT). When we got the Fanuc the battery for the memory was dead. When we checked the parameters they were all 1's. The book for the Fanuc has parameters 5-39 and 50-69 but its missing a bunch that look like they're supposed to be hand written in.

We have contacted Mori Seiki and the gentleman there was very nice and helpful but unable to find the documentation for the TL-3A and the Fanuc version we have.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Fanuc.

Does anyone have any other recommendations as to where to get the parameters? Or do we have the necessary parameters and we just don't know it?

We also have an I/O Com 8710 btr and can't find any documentation on that either.

Help?
    Thanks for your time and expertise,

Travis.

Talked to Fanuc support this morning and they were nice but were not able to supply any information other than to call the local distributer for Mori Seiki.

Which we did, and their technicians have an undertmined amount of time between now and when they can get to our machine. They could not tell us when a tech would be available. It seems we were stone walled there too.

Am I asking the wrong questions or asking them in the wrong place? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mogwopjr View Post
    Talked to Fanuc support this morning and they were nice but were not able to supply any information other than to call the local distributer for Mori Seiki.

Which we did, and their technicians have an undertmined amount of time between now and when they can get to our machine. They could not tell us when a tech would be available. It seems we were stone walled there too.

Am I asking the wrong questions or asking them in the wrong place? Any suggestions?
    Your asking the correct questions in the correct place.

I fit BTR's to a lot of these old controls and I'm surprised you were able to get so many parameters from the Fanuc manual. Most I've seen has been from parameter #003 to #019 in the Fanuc manual, the rest are all MTB related. Parameters #000 to #002 are option parameters, and they include the parameter setting for G28 function.

I was lucky recently with a client that had dead parameter backup batteries, the set connected centre top of the main board, and had lost all parameters. The agents looked though their archived files without success, then a week later, a service person who had worked on this very machine had a copy from 25 years ago.

To get the parameters you need, you will have to get lucky and find someone with the same model machine as yours. I would try contacting the MTB direct, stating the Serial Number of the machine with any communication you have with them. Sorry I'm not able to help more with the parameters, but once you get it going I can help you with any question regarding programming, setting and operation of this control.

Regards,

Bill

Thank you for the assistance! Its good to know I'm in the right place, this is kind of new to me.

We were able to use the Fanuc instructional materials to figure out #000 through #002 and the rest were documented in the manual, except for the ones that were just blank. As of right now the lathe functions perfectly if its manually controlled, we're just missing some parameters to get the CNC part of it working, or so we think.

Then there's that BTR, we may end up purchasing a new one because we cant find any information on how its set up. Not even the company who's information is on the BTR know anything about it. We're going to try various baud and com port settings to see if we can get a valid response from the Fanuc.

It seems to me that when these products are superseded by the newest thing, or 30 years goes by, a lot of technicians and the manufacturers want to forget they existed to begin with.

Working in the telco world, we aren't allowed to forget the 40 year old equipment we work on every day.

Thanks again,

Travis

Good morning, I know its been over a year but I have to update this and ask again for parameter help.

It has been a slow process, the shop has taken this Fanuc/Mori and treated it very gently. We have had many local technicians say that they can fix the parameter issues or know what to do... then no one can actually help. Its taken probably in the hundreds of hours with some good results but we've not been completely successful yet. At this point the shop owner is almost willing to fly an expert out just to fix this machine, since complete parameter description and definition is near impossible to find.

To date we have the lathe up and running. Manual input with the 5T itself works for some, MAYBE most, commands.
    PC to Fanuc works, but there are a lot of issues with it such as the lathe will just stop with a "Feed Hold" light lit when we try and run an M04S### (M03S### works)command via pc->fanuc. There is also an issue with where X and Z hit their slowdown limits. One axis will quickly go to the stop and the other will crawl from about 2 inches out to the stop position, making zero return a real slow process.

The technician we talked to at Mori Seiki tried for 3 days to help but in the end just did not have the information we needed anymore. Fanuc told us to talk to the local Mori Seiki service technician, and a year later... we're still working on this ourselves. We have systematically stepped through nearly all the parameters just trying different options, its rough though because the manuals we have that contain parameter info contradict each other.

Just having a list of parameter values and their descriptions (that are not themselves contradictory from book to book) would be worth its weight in gold. At this point I think the owner would pay in gold to get them! We are not looking for the actual parameters that we lost for this setup, just the parameter and values so we can try and create our own. Any help, even criticism, is welcome.

Travis

Just got M04 and M03 to work correctly. Hey! now for the jog/zero return X and Z speed to make them the same. Maybe just talking out loud causes the CNC gods to listen... hmmm....

Ever find any info on those I/O COM 8710s? I have one on my shelf I've been hoping to use (any year now)...

For the ZRN process, 2 inches sounds right for the deceleration limit switch.

In your maintenance manual, look for the ZRNFL parameter (Don't know the 5T off the top of the head)

That parameter should set the low feed speed at reference point return.

The units will be mm/min or ipm depending on your other parameters. Minimum value is 6 IIRC.

If the other axis doesn't slow down 2 inches before I'd check out its limit switches! or if one axis moves faster than the other, you may have one side tuned a bit too high or low.

Re: Fanuc 5T parameter question for Mori TL-3A

Hello Travis
    I own two two fanuc 5T's which i have trained myself on for rwenty years.
    One is a general numeric version of the fanuc called the GN5
    Other is a fanuc FX on an Ikegai chucker.
    I have ammased a large amount of info on these and have 8710 btr 's in both machines with cables
    from computer to board and connected to tape reader cables in the machines to load programs.
    As far as parameters they dont differ much from 5T's use on different machines but often M functions do.
    Sending to the control will require the TV setting to be 0.
    Set computer to 1200 baud ,7 data, even ,1 stop bit.
    If you could show me a pic or describe the 8710 i can give you baudrate settings and maybe get it goin.
    please advise,how i can help or call me at 727-698-6844
    thanks
    Paul