586,036 active members*
3,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Advice on Electronics and Servos

Advice on Electronics and Servos

Hi,
    I'm planning to purchase the servos and electonics for my CT129N conversion. I know what servos I want, so that's not an issue. But I'm somewhat confused about electonics. Here are my choices:

Option 1:
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

(1) KL34H295-43-8A, 906 oz-in NEMA 34 Stepper Motor
    (2) KL23H2100-50-4B 570 oz-in stepping motors, NEMA23
    (3) KL-5056D Digital Drivers (5.6Amp 24-50 Volts, 1-1/256 microstepping)
    (1) 48VDC /12 .5A Power Supply 110VAC/220VAC
    (1) c10 Breakout board
    (1) 5V power supply

Option 2:
    (2) NEMA23 570oz/in 5A 3/8” Dual Shaft Stepper Motor (KL23H2100-50-4B)
    (1) NEMA34 Stepper Motor – 906 oz in 6.1A Dual Shaft (KL34H295-43-8B)
    (1) Gecko Diver G540 4 Axis Driver
    (1) 48V/12.5A Switching CNC Power Supply (KL-600-48)

Aside from the servos (not a problem). Why are there less electronic components in Option 2? Is that all I need?

In option1 there are three drivers and a breakout board but not in option 2?

Why?

Thanks

ddragon
    I'm planning to purchase the servos and electonics for my CT129N conversion.

Both the packages you have listed/posted are for stepper motors not servo motors

If you want servo motors, look at these as well
    DMM Technology Corp.
    Mactec54

The G540 has 4 stepper drivers and a built in BOB as a package.

Now that sounds great, but it will only handle 3amps ( check specs I could be off but its only so many amps).

Now that doesnt mean you cant run it on higher amp motors, but the motors will only get whatever amps the 540 will give, so less power from the motor.

I think with the steppers your looking at using the first package is the way to go anyway. Even the 570oz-in stepper draws more than the G540 will give on amps.

What kinda machine you plan on building ? A lot comes down to what your machine needs.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    ddragon
    I'm planning to purchase the servos and electonics for my CT129N conversion.

Both the packages you have listed/posted are for stepper motors not servo motors

If you want servo motors, look at these as well
    DMM Technology Corp.
    Sorry slip of the tongue, I meant steppers. I work with servos for helicopters as well.

Any typos are the product of my stupid iPad self correction feature.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY13 View Post
    The G540 has 4 stepper drivers and a built in BOB as a package.

Now that sounds great, but it will only handle 3amps ( check specs I could be off but its only so many amps).

Now that doesnt mean you cant run it on higher amp motors, but the motors will only get whatever amps the 540 will give, so less power from the motor.

I think with the steppers your looking at using the first package is the way to go anyway. Even the 570oz-in stepper draws more than the G540 will give on amps.

What kinda machine you plan on building ? A lot comes down to what your machine needs.

Jess
    Hi Jess
    Perfect. Thanks for he explanation... I didn't think about the amps.

It's for a ct129n busy bee machine.

Any typos are the product of my stupid iPad self correction feature.

Unless I am mistaken, the CT129 is basically the same as the Grizzly G0704. Check out Hoss's G0704 thread. He uses 3 of the 570 oz-in NEMA 23 motors and matched Keling drivers. All are in direct drive and his machine really moves impressively. Here is a link to his website on the G0704.

g0704.com

After using servos, I prefer them over steppers. Much quieter, run cool, closed loop, lots of reserve power. Other than the DMM kits( I think), you will need pulley reduction to make proper use of them.

If you used the KFLOP board, you could implement encoders on steppers to close the loop, though.

I didn't spend enough time learning when I did my first build.......that's water under the bridge, now.......but I wish I had educated myself a lot more before jumping in and doing what everyone else was doing. Just a little more money (in the big picture) would have made me much happier with my setup.

Open loop steppers can do just fine when properly sized, but I'm much happier to know that if something jams up (and you can guarantee it will).......steppers or servos with encoders will shut everything down rather than continue on and completely destroy a workpiece and maybe damage the machine. Just a lot more peace of mind for the inevitable.

One more word of advice from a guy that learned it the hard way. Get you limit switches, whatever they may be, in place before you power up any axis. I mean physical limit switches.......not soft limits in mach. Soft limits are not very helpful if a stepper jams up and loses position.