586,116 active members*
3,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Need help - AK 47 Receiver

Need help - AK 47 Receiver

Im very new to cad and really into guns. I would like to mill my own ak 47 receiver. Ive been tinkering in Rhino and still have no clue where to start. Do I make a rectangle and hollow out the center? Make separate walls and shapes and attach them at the end? Im so stumped. I included some pics of a machined receiver so maybe someone could point me in the right direction on how to start this project.:violin:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22614-12.jpg   22614-1.jpg   22614-11.jpg  

Lightbulb A visit to the wizard might be in order

Quote Originally Posted by hugh jass View Post
    Im very new to cad and really into guns. I would like to mill my own ak 47 receiver. Ive been tinkering in Rhino and still have no clue where to start. Do I make a rectangle and hollow out the center? Make separate walls and shapes and attach them at the end? Im so stumped. I included some pics of a machined receiver so maybe someone could point me in the right direction on how to start this project.:violin:
    Here is little something to get you going in the right direction, just be careful you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

JoeyB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AK.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

There is not one single answer to your question. In Rhino there are always multiple ways to build such pieces, and you should try both the ways you mentioned as a learning experience. If you run into trouble, then ask again.

Lars

Hello-

I would agree- you can do things both ways as suggested. In this case I would draw up each face or elevation to scale. And not worry yet so much about the fillets/radiused edges and countersinks regions. Once you draw these up in 2d I would recommend messing around with the planarsrf command to build up the surfaces using your linework. To test this out just draw a rectangle and then type into the command line planarsrf this will make a plane- then once you have most of the surfaces defined in 2d you can rotate and move the planes into the right axis and put them together.

Once you get this together you can then move on to chamfering for counter sinks and fillets.

Subtracting from a solid can work but you may end up with issues trying to Boolean certain things. Post if you get stuck and I'll take a look.

Thanks alot! Im working on my own design for it but I still need the dimensions for the front trunnion. The one the barrel presses into. mm's are fine.

for something like this alibre or solidworks deserve a look, or some of the other 3d parametric cad programs, some free, that have appeared in last year or so

I use TurboCad and I think I would start with a block. Shell it. Then draw a few features that you could push and pull the surface of. You can easily add and subtract portions of elements. I make good use of construction lines. They make it easy to place parts in a 3D element. Lastly I would dress the edges as needed. Extrude is another tool I use often.
    Lee

You don't need other programs to do this if you have Rhino 5. You can shell, you can push & pull (with the gumball and sub-object selection), etc.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)