586,121 active members*
3,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF2SS Motor Problem

Our machine (second hand VF2SS 2003) just went down and scared the hell out of us! We ran to see what had happened and found the spindle had stalled with smoke pumping out the Z axis. After a quick examination we found the motor bearings to have blown and so we ordered a brand new motor. The Haas engineer has been in today to mount the new motor. We ran the motor once assembled, however it is taking a very long time to get up to speed (12000rpm) while making a unusual high pitched noise and when we try to stop the spindle it trips out with a 'spindle following error' and coasts to a stop.

Haas engineer seems to think that replacing the encoder could possibly fix it. But it seems to me parameters need to be changed as it looks to be a different brand of motor (Baldor) the old motor doesn't have a brand name on. I have attached pictures of the different motors.

I am thinking it is the parameters as I have had this similar problem after setting up VFD drives with different types of motors in the past.

Please if anyone can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated!

We are super bummed as we had only had the machine running for a week in our place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo3.JPG   photo.JPG   photo2.JPG  

Does anyone have any help with this?

Were the motors exactly the same part number? I'm assuming not, but why change?

Was the encoder changed along with the motor?

Is the Haas engineer an actual Haas employee, or someone who says he knows the Haas machines.

The motor stalled out and was smoking, without an power interruption? Was all of the wiring checked out to make sure nothing had melted or shorted?

Was the driver/amplifier check out/swapped?

Th smallest/weakest wires in the harness are the encoder wires and that could cause a bad encoder symptom, so were they checked for damage/shorting?

If you want help, you need to give us more information.

Good Luck---Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Yes, I would say the easiest thing to check are the parameters. The new motor should have come with an installation check list, of sorts. On it, there should be parameters for both Baldor motor and Yaskawa motor. I am not sure what the "no name" motor you had was either. Our old motor in our VF2SS was a Baldor that was a square, cast aluminum housing with a Haas "H" cast on the outside. The new motor they put in was a Yaskawa, but it looks more like your Baldor, only not in funny colors. Just plain aluminum. In any case, the parameters needed to be changed.

Good luck!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    Yes, I would say the easiest thing to check are the parameters. The new motor should have come with an installation check list, of sorts. On it, there should be parameters for both Baldor motor and Yaskawa motor. I am not sure what the "no name" motor you had was either. Our old motor in our VF2SS was a Baldor that was a square, cast aluminum housing with a Haas "H" cast on the outside. The new motor they put in was a Yaskawa, but it looks more like your Baldor, only not in funny colors. Just plain aluminum. In any case, the parameters needed to be changed.

Good luck!

Mike
    Just curious....what year was your machine? Is this a common problem in the SS? Looking to add another Haas machine to our shop and have my eye on a few used VF2 SS. Wonder if I should stay away from the older models.

Jim

I don't mean to hijack your thread, and this is off topic, but am I to understand a spindle motor is just a regular 3 phase motor? How is it possible to run it at 12k rpm? If you look at the picture, you can see right on the data plate it says, "1760" rpm. I guess I have a poor understanding of how the vector drive, drives the spindle. How is rpm varied? Is it done by changing voltage, or frequency? Again sorry for being off topic, it's just something I've always wanted to better understand.

VF-2SS

Hi Elsie.

I you are having problems with the spindle motor. We can help solve the issue that you spoke of in regards to the noise and alarming out and coasting to a stop. The first this that we need to see if the was validated to the brand of motor in this case a baldor. second the motor needs to tighten up while the motor is running (3K RPM) this will center the coupling on the motor to the coupling on the spindle also when you are tightening the motor flange bolts you may hear a different noise that means that the spindle and the motor are not inline i may need further adjustment on the alignment to fix the noise issue. third the motor coasting to a stop is telling that there is an issue with the regent assembly it may be open it may need to be replaced but you can check the ohms on the regent assembly by disconnecting from the vector drive and testing from lead to lead the Ohms need to be at 6 Ohms if it's open you need to replace it. If you need any more information you can contact Haas at 805-278-8500 and ask for service.

Regent assy

@Haas tech#3
    How would I test the regent loop. Please describe where. I have a similar problem as Elsie, just I never replaced the motor!? It gives me a "spindle fault" and then coasts to a stop.
    Many thanks
    Ivan

SPINDLE FAULT.

Hi Rockhopper300.

The way that the regent assembly is tested is by disconnecting it from the vector drive or the spindle drive. The unit have one or the other depending on the unit it self. A brush unit will have a spindle drive and a brushless unit will have a vector drive in rare cases the brushless unit would have a spindle drive. When the spindle is commanded to stop from a high speed it generated power from the spindle motor and it needs to be dissipated by the regent as heat. if the regent elements are not connect making a loop to the spindle drive or vector drive the machine will not be able to dissipate the current been generated by the motor and it will alarm out with a 123 alarm then it will coast to a stop. The resistance on the regent could be some where around 25 OHMS to 6. OHMS but it should never be open. If you have any more question call Haas service at 805-278-8500 and ask for service.