586,069 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

EMCOTurn 340TC project

I jut took delivery of this beast

It is missing the hydraulic power unit and the cooling reservoir. Also I have no manuals either.

Anyone have any advice on where to get the manuals? And can anyone who has a 340 tell me anything about the Hydraulics unit I.E. brand, model number, picture etc....

Cheers, Allen

Emco manual

I found a site that has this manual, but my lack of posts prevent me from placing the URL here, so I will try this method for you.

Search for 'download provider' and then search their files for your machine. The download is free so you can't go far wrong and it may have details of the hydraulics you need to complete the machine

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by allenj20 View Post
    I jut took delivery of this beast

It is missing the hydraulic power unit and the cooling reservoir. Also I have no manuals either.

Anyone have any advice on where to get the manuals? And can anyone who has a 340 tell me anything about the Hydraulics unit I.E. brand, model number, picture etc....

Cheers, Allen
    Allen, it appears to use the same unit as my Emco 240. I have some literature on adjusting it if it is of use to you. Would give you an idea of pressures etc. It doesn't take much and I bet you could recreate it. Have you gotten your machine up and running yet?
    Marty

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the reply, Yes the literature might be of use can you PM the info? I have not gotten the machine up and running yet.

I have been going round and round with Emco USA trying to get the manual for the machine as sort of a first step. I gave them $150 plus dollars and they sent me a photocopy of the 320 manual in PDF form. Subsequent attempts to get them to send the right manual ended in failure.

I have the worst luck when it comes to dealing with vendors. Sometimes I think I am being too nice or people just really don't give a crap about doing a good job anymore.

Finally got around to working on this project. Still don't have a Emco 340 manual. If anyone has any leads on how I could get a copy of the manual I would be eternally grateful.

Without the manual I am left to scratch my head as to how to even wire it up to electrical. I know most of these machines were 380V and require a transformer. Mine actually says 3 x 380/220v at 35 amps on the side. I don't know if this means it will run at 230v derated or if that implies it came with a tranformer I just don't know. Anybody have any experience with wiring up a 340?

I just picked up an 340 too. haven't gotten it to run yet either. PLC problems for me.I don't know if they all are like this but mine came with a 220 to 380 transformer. i think you will need one.

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEVILLE View Post
    I just picked up an 340 too. haven't gotten it to run yet either. PLC problems for me.I don't know if they all are like this but mine came with a 220 to 380 transformer. i think you will need one.
    Agreed. You are going to need that transformer. The biggest issue is the spindle drive. It needs that voltage to run. Otherwise, perhaps you can replace the spindle motor and equip it with a VFD maybe you will get around it with a partial conversion. I *think* the control is 240v, I am not for sure.

Iron is great, they are worthy of a retrofit, but it looks like yours has a nice control. Likely worth investigating further to see what voltage it takes. I hope EMCO USA will give you some documentation.

I have not begun my retrofit yet. I am working on a DYNA DM4400 first. I work full time so these retrofits take me time to get done. Perseverance and lots of money!

I was thinking I was probably going to end up needing the transformer. Any chance you could give me the specs on the transformer you got? Specifically Kva and amps on the output side?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEVILLE View Post

My machine is a different model, but it has full details about the hydraulics in the manual. Push Emco USA to get you the right documentation, you have already paid them! They've actually been extremely helpful to me, weird to hear they aren't coming through for you.

My machine didn't have the original transformer with it either (although I have the doc's showing it was delivered with one and installed) but I found a pretty good price and great support on 240-380 step up transformer from Elimia Industrial. You'll probably also need an RPC, which he can help you out with as well and probably cut you a better deal on the 2.

On mine you have to hold the aux on button for at least 3seconds to get the pump to turn on. Won't let you do anything like move the axis's till the aux is on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Re: EMCOTurn 340TC project

I can't do anything mechanical till the "aux on" is on. I can move though the control. Edit programs, load programs, put tools off sets in etc. But can't move anything. No tool changer,axis,spindle. Nothing till the control says "aux on" is on

You should be able to rig the signal for the hydraulic pressure to allow the control to enable, but this still all depends on your getting ahold of the schematic. If you can get that schematic or figure out which signal wire it may allow you to make a small step forward.

I'm pretty sure your machine will have a pressure sensor that triggers a ready signal to the control, I know mine does (I lost pressure a couple of months ago when the accumulator lost its seal and the control went into emergency state and stopped everything real fast).

Hydraulic pump systems for lathes aren't really all that compicated, you just gotta look at each piece and put together the picture of what you've got. If "Castleville" could send you a few detailed pictures you may be able to recreate the original unit.

On a single turret/spindle machine you should have the tank, motor/pump, valvebody or manifold, accumulator, bi-directional control valve for the chuck, another for the tailstock if it's hydraulic, and if you're lathe has a C axis you may have another for the brake if it has one. Sizing is important so I would think getting the part numbers from "Castleville" would be the easiest route.

Still surprised Emco Maier hasn't been more help, spoke with them again last week about the back spindle rotary union and got exactly the info I needed in about 10 minutes.

Regards,
    John B

I didn't forget about getting you some hyd. Info. Been a hectic week. Hopefully will be at my shop in a day or two

Thanks Man, I understand I have a day job for now too. I am going to take Friday off to focus on this project and hopefully get Emco on the phone.

This what i could find out. Max pressure is 40 bar. Normal operating pressure is 30 bar.
    The spindle fan comes on with the hyd. System.
    Let me know if you need any other info.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1360890283608.jpg  

Thank you Castleville, very much for the picture and information on the hydraulics that is helpful.

The top solenoid is for the parts catcher forward and back. The 2nd one down is for the parts catcher side to side. 3rd down is for the chuck and the 4th is for the tailstock.
    Hope this helps.

Your other thread didn't mention any hydraulic aspects, just the alarms. My machine is different but if there is any info I can offer...

Sent from my DROID RAZR

It has been awhile I had to set the EmcoTurn 340 aside while I worked on some other stuff. I am back to trying to
    get this old machine tool back in service.

EmcoTurn 340

Fabrication number R3C B2B3 004R

I really could use some help getting this old machine back in service.
    I would be eternally grateful if anyone could help me in any way at all.
    I am working on reloading the control from scratch. I am going to
    replace both batteries in the control with new lithium batteries. What
    I got with the system was

a floppy with

newport.te1
    newport.te2

Newport Corporation was the company I got the machine from.

I have recovered the files off this floppy and they are on my computer
    (had to dig out a floppy drive)

I also received a box of paper punch tapes

PCP
    commplc-data sw06 R3C B2B3 004R
    L700-LP70
    PCA

This came from Siemens in Illinois in 2008 judging from the shipping
    label on the box. I have purchased a Siemens Sinumerik Tape Reader.
    6FC 3984-1FD from the UK. It should be here by Wednesday I am hoping I
    can use this to get the data off of those paper tapes and reload the
    control.

I have ordered the batteries and null modem and serial cable and I
    think everything I need to reload the control from scratch. I just
    need help with the procedure. I found the attached PDF from Siemens
    not sure if this is all I need? Of course the doc won't help with
    paper tape reload. I also have the Siemens PCIN software on my
    computer from the document

I would really really appreciate it if anyone could provide me any help
    or documentation from Emco or Siemens on the reload procedure.

Ok Result, I was able to restore the control with a combination of recovering a couple of files off an old floppy and paper punch tape (oh man what have I gotten myself in to). And the control came up with some alarm related to thermal overload of certain components. So after fiddling around I figured out these were just resets in the machine.

So after reseting all the breakers in the system I got aux to come on and I could move both axis. I was so happy, for like 5 minutes jogging the axis. Until...

I managed to trigger an overtravel switch on the x axis

So now I have a 6010 x axis overtravel switch active alarm that I can't clear and AUX is off again. Anyone know how to clear this alarm?

Page 1 of 3 123