586,909 active members*
3,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Small router/mill

Hey all!
    I've had a Probotix Fireball V90 for about a year now and I've been very happy with it for woodwork. Previously I had thought I wanted a bigger machine but I recently realized the only large parts I make on it are pieces for other prototype CNC machines.

I've been re-assessing my needs and I think what would really keep me happy is a small machine that is capable of working both wood and metals. Most small milling machines don't have the sort of capacity I'm looking for, so that's not really an option... (I already have an X2 anyway)

Does anyone know of any companies or individuals that make a small (12x12x4") mill/router? One that is built entirely from aluminum/steel and is capable of working with at least non-ferrous metals? Preferably ferrous metals as well. It needs to have a small over-all size as it will be used in an apartment.

One that recently caught my eye was this home-made machine: My new home built cnc router, aluminum.MP4 - YouTube

I'm happy to make something from scratch if I have to, but not having access to a machine shop it would be much easier if I could just buy something.

I can spend up to around $5-6K on the mechanical components.

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    Hey all!
    I've had a Probotix Fireball V90 for about a year now and I've been very happy with it for woodwork. Previously I had thought I wanted a bigger machine but I recently realized the only large parts I make on it are pieces for other prototype CNC machines.

I've been re-assessing my needs and I think what would really keep me happy is a small machine that is capable of working both wood and metals. Most small milling machines don't have the sort of capacity I'm looking for, so that's not really an option... (I already have an X2 anyway)

Does anyone know of any companies or individuals that make a small (12x12x4") mill/router? One that is built entirely from aluminum/steel and is capable of working with at least non-ferrous metals? Preferably ferrous metals as well. It needs to have a small over-all size as it will be used in an apartment.

One that recently caught my eye was this home-made machine: My new home built cnc router, aluminum.MP4 - YouTube

I'm happy to make something from scratch if I have to, but not having access to a machine shop it would be much easier if I could just buy something.

I can spend up to around $5-6K on the mechanical components.
    Don't know the price, but...
    DMC-III Milling Machine | Desktop CNC Milling Machines | DMC-III CNC Mill

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    That looks pretty good actually. The price is listed on their site as just under $9k. That's a little pricey, but not too bad!

Have you seen any other machines with similar capabilities? That's definitely a good start....

Perhaps I could order one with no electronics or something.

You can make a mill like that for around $1,000. Their is a lot of good shorter ball screws on ebay. I found a 4' 35mm liner rail with one cart for$80 new.

A G0704 mill with a high speed spindle would do the same job and cost about $2500 if you add a VFD when done.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    You can make a mill like that for around $1,000. Their is a lot of good shorter ball screws on ebay. I found a 4' 35mm liner rail with one cart for$80 new.

A G0704 mill with a high speed spindle would do the same job and cost about $2500 if you add a VFD when done.
    I figured it wouldn't be too expensive to build one... The real problem for me is that I don't really have the tooling to make something like that. I have the X2 but very little tooling for it, and minimal experience using it to make precision parts...

I was thinking that if I decided to DIY it I may have to talk to a local machine shop, or perhaps get as many parts as possible cut using water-jet or something...

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    I figured it wouldn't be too expensive to build one... The real problem for me is that I don't really have the tooling to make something like that. I have the X2 but very little tooling for it, and minimal experience using it to make precision parts...

I was thinking that if I decided to DIY it I may have to talk to a local machine shop, or perhaps get as many parts as possible cut using water-jet or something...
    I think it would cost way more than $1000 in materials to build that machine, unless you want to spend countless days searching eBay for the right stuff at the right size.

6 HiWin 20mm linear rails with 2 blocks each $100+ each
    3 Precision ballscrews preloaded nut, machined ends bearing blocks $300-400 each
    3 Stepper motors, drive box (psu, controller, switches, wires) $500-600
    1 Spindle motor/VFD $400-600
    1 Milling spindle head $200-400
    1 20" x 20" T-slot table, $500-750
    Steel plate parts, water jetted/plasma cut and machined $1000-1200
    Assorted metric screws, nuts, bots $200-300

I would say it would cost to to build an equivalent about $4000-5000 in parts, and that does not include any of your engineering, labor, other miscellaneous farmed out machining, assembly, etc.

Another company to look at would be SyiL, they have some really good looking mills at great prices.

Not a really fun video but the parts were around 1K it is not as stiff as the one in the picture and I used Acme lead screws but it is a fine machine and has done daily work for two years.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJX8m3EzRkg]router-lathe-pully-outside158.MP4 - YouTube[/ame]

It has a 5/8 metal table but I keep a wooden jig plate on it most of the time and have two sets of holes for mounting a few vices. It does not hold under .005" for metal.

I made it with a drill press and a jig saw. I milled a few pieces toward the end of the build with a RF-31 but they could have been done by hand.

The 4 Gecko drives did cost a bit.

I cut aluminum with my router, also using ACME screws but with a phenolic frame and MDF table. I have about $1200 in parts, and cut a few on my old CNC and a few on the tablesaw/drill press. I'd say I get around .005" tolerance at least. I wouldn't think it would handle small production runs but for the light work I do it's fine:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpKLBXvtSs&list=UUh02xArFBxUbWIhO2HPsxfQ&feature=plcp]DIY CNC Router, cutting BMX chain sprocket, Part 1: Pocketing - YouTube[/ame]

I think 5000USD to 6000USD is really pricey to buy part, it can buy a whole machine from china and 2 mini cnc router, it's also have good quality and perforamnce

I was going to suggest building a beefed up version of the microcarve. Today saw this thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...c_routers.html

One of their models:
    TYYZ0302 Mini CNC Router with Rotary Axis