586,341 active members*
3,575 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BridgePort Explorer X-26 Gear Range Issue

We just received a Explorer X-26 Mill from a customer who wants us to do a machining procedure they can no longer do In- House
    The problem is that after figuring out the sequnce of events needed to take place to commence machining it appears that the CNC control thinks the spindle is in low range when it is actually (Has been Started In) and is physically in High
    The control indicates low range and the current spindle speed is not even close to the actual
    We then get a msg: start spindle in high range to begin run

Where do I start to look for the indicator that tells the control it is in high
    Should I be looking at the switch itself ?

I read almost all of the previous posts and could not find a simalar problem

speed switch

There should be a microswitch on the speed selector lever that hooks back into the control. Check the operation of that switch, and make sure it is properly connected. (maybe the line got cut or damaged during the move)

Good luck!

james

James is correct. I do not have a manual on this machine but there are 2 possibilities.
    This head is very similar to the R2E3 and R2E4 in that it has all the fiberglass around it.
    The R sesies had a chain and sprocket arraingment to the actual shaft that noved the bull gear up and down. On one of the sprockets is a screw that is seen on a switch to indicate if it is in high or low gear.
    Newer machines (V2XT) and possibly the X-26 have a prox switch built into the block that sees the plunger attached to the lever that locks it in gear. there may be dirt there.
    Also it could be a broken wire, switch out of adjustment etc. How was the machine moved? It may shed light on where to start looking.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)