586,096 active members*
3,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Something wrong with "Z" axis
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Something wrong with "Z" axis

The machine was working great. And then suddenly when I load a new G-Code in it the Z axis only goes about the half way depth then I have put in G-code. For example if I put to mill down .030 it actually mill about 0.013 - 0.015. But it only happens with the program loaded. When I jog it will go exactly as I put.
    I'm using probotix USB board and drivers. Software is Planet-CNC.
    I forgot to mention that I have calibrated all 3 axis using a digital dial indicator.

Do you have G43 in your program

Does the program maybe have G43 - tool length offset from tool table? If so it may be compensating for the tool length (thinks its longer than it is).

Mike

There is no G43 code. Is it possible that the program is so big that the board can't handle it?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

If Mach3 is missing the license file, it has a line number limit.

I'm using Planet-CNC software

Oops, sorry. Missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    The machine was working great. And then suddenly when I load a new G-Code in it the Z axis only goes about the half way depth then I have put in G-code. For example if I put to mill down .030 it actually mill about 0.013 - 0.015. But it only happens with the program loaded. When I jog it will go exactly as I put.
    I'm using probotix USB board and drivers. Software is Planet-CNC.
    I forgot to mention that I have calibrated all 3 axis using a digital dial indicator.
    Double check your z-axis calibration and make sure that it is not set to metric.

I already triple check it. And it's not set to metric

does it only happen with only one specific GCode or all loaded GCode files?
    Eoin

No. It happens with all the gcodes. I already reset the software to default settings but still no luck. Also I disconnect all limit switches and still have the same problem. Next time I will try to put software on my spare laptop amd try it from there

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

If the software is set up properly ( including the lead screw TPI setting, the TPI on my z-axis lead screw is different that the ones on the x and y axis ) then you are likely looking at a hardware issue. So here are some things to look for.

1. The driver that the motor is connected to may be causing the problem.
    *** Try hooking the motor up to one of the other drivers
    and see if you get the same or different results.

2. It is possible that your wiring connections are not as solid as they should be.
    *** I had some issues with that when I set up my bluemax. I ended up stripping a longer length of the wire, folded it over and twisted it together in order to make a more solid and stronger contact within the screw clamps on the connectors.

Bear in mind that the wiring can be hard to determine if it is properly seated. Give each of the wires on your z-axis a bit of a tug. If one comes out, you have most likely found your problem.

3. If your z-axis stepper is connect via a rubber or vinyl hose to the lead screw, it is possible for that to slip.
    *** Placing a mark on the connector that you can easily see will make it easier to determine if the connection is slipping. If that turns out to be the case, put a small zip tie around it and use a pair of pliers to get it as tight as possible. The extra pressure will stop the slippage if there is any.

4. Check your driver's jumper switches and verify with your manual that those are set correctly as well.

5. It is unlikely that the z-axis is binding but you should check for that as well.

6. You can test the motor itself by swapping it out with one of those that are not causing you problems.

You've no doubt gone over these things already, but these are the only things I'm aware of that can cause the problems your experiencing.

Hope this helps.

Scott A Tovey

Since he states that jogging moves the Z axis exactly the right amount it does not seem to be anything hardware related but purely in the software.

Sounds like it is only getting half the set value (or close too) from the Gcode. Did this start AFTER a calibration or what was changed before this started acting strange.

MP*10

It starts after update. But since then 2 more updates have been released and nobody have problems except me. Also I added a USB cable with active signal repeater maybe this is the problem. If I get out of school early tonight then I will check it but if not then for sure tomorrow

The repeating signal of the new USB cable sounds a bit suspicious. Do you have a closed system that sens feed back when the axis has moved? On the other hand, I would think that you would have the same problem on all the axis' if it was the USB cable.

If all else fails, uninstall the program and all it's updates and then reinstall it from scratch. This may be a pain, but sometimes, it's the one thing that will work.

In all likelihood, the problem is due to that thing you did that you don't remember doing, and once you find it and remember doing it you will hit yourself in the head and quote Homer Simpson.

I hate when that happens.

I will install software from scratch on my laptop and then try it.

What are all the active G codes that are listed? I'm not familiar with your controller package but most will list all the active G codes (ie are Modal - stay set when set once).

Lots of different things can happen and if you're not looking for them its a real head scratcher.

Can you post the G-code program (or from the begining up to where the problem with the Z-axis travel is)?

Mike

I attached it to this message
    Attached Files Attached Files

This sounds like maybe something got corrupted in the software, going to the laptop with a reload would be a good place to start.

It could be a hardware problem still but a reload will help seperate things so you can norrow down to the problem. Even though it does jog right there still may be some differences in circuits being used, so possible hardware issue. Ofcourse hardware does include the comp itself.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    It starts after update.......

Had you any issues before you updated Mach to the newer version?

You say your using the probotix USB board....is this a Motion Controller?

The only reason I ask is I had an issue with a Mach update and my Smooth Stepper (USB Motion Controller) so I had to roll back to the previous Mach lockdown version I was running.....
    Eoin

I have a planet-cnc software. that what probotix recommend.

Page 1 of 2 12