586,103 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4 axis foam cutter

Hi all,
    In March last year I started to build Linistepper for my machine. At that time I started a thread here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...tepper_v2.html

The whole project was paused til last month but now it is almost finished.

For testing and learning I choose letter cutting. For drowing I use AutoCad, for generating G-code I use DeskCnc and for cutting I use Mach 3.

I was cutting some letter with success, but I have problem with islands.
    My problem and question is:
    Can someone explane how to create islands like on letter "O,P,B" etc.. with AutoCad or DeskCnc ?

Here is some pics, on this pics machine was not at real position, this was for testing purpose:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	158397

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	158398

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	158399

Name:	IMG_0446.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	158400

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	158401

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	158402

Ok, I found the way to make islands, but now I have other problem..
    Today I was trying to configure my machine with Mach3 and have one big problem.
    When I move motors with hotkeys, they move fast enough but when I load G-code machine move too slow!
    I make drownings in autocad then convert to gcode with deskcnc and cut with mach3.

This is my motor configuration: motors are 7.5° so i guess that is 48 steps per revolution. My drivers are configurated to run under half step mode so in mach3 under motor tuning i put 192 steps per, because my machine move 1mm per one motor revolution! When i change velocity in mach3 only diference i notice is the speed when i move machine with hotkeys but when i run gcode speed are the same-too slow.. I do change native units to mm in mach3 and deskcnc.
    Cen someone tell me how to incrase movement speed ? When I change feedrate in gcode only thing that change is movement speed till the wire come to the part that need to be cut, and than again too slow !
    Please someone, I'm stuck, I try to google for some tutorial but found nothing to be useful.
    Thanks in advance!

Been a long time I have used my router but I believe while you have Mach3 running hit the P"TAB" key it will be in a window and you can change the speed settings.

Thank you lovebugjunkie for reply !

I fix my problem, I set steps per mm to 368, velocity to 600 and acceleration to 200 and now everithing is ok, I can change speed by changing the feedrate in gcode and accuraci with drowning is almost perfect, at 15 inch part I have 0,5 inch dismatch, so a little bit tuning and calibration will be done.

Sorry I was pointing you in the wrong direction. I have though about building a cnc foam cutter many times but have never came up with a way to mount and move the towers that did not require a pay check . Like the way you used the slides and U channel.

Don't be sorry, I don't know much about all this, and I appreciate a lot your reply!
    Any advice and comment means a lot to me!

Now I need to pratice making drownings and g codes, Some drownings are cutted perfect and some drownings are cutted with fault. I guess that I make some fault in deskcnc, so practice will be the main job of me and my machine in next unknown time period .

Need help!
    I am a newby trying to figure out what I am doing and how to do it
    I need educated in stepper motors
    can anyone help me out as to what and how to function here?