586,469 active members*
2,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Eztrac CMOS battery

Got a 1997 Series II DX Eztrac that when switched on gives me the message CMOS battery failed. Can anyone explain where this is located, how to change it and do I need to be an electronic eng to do so. Any help much appreciated.

If you search the archives you will find a lot of posts about this.
    In a nutshell, There are 3 types of batteries depending on your mother board. A Ni-Cad soldered onto the board near the keyboard plug, a lithium coin size battery that can be replaced by sliding it in, and some have a Dallas real time clock chip (IC).
    The Nicad is about 1/2 inch in diameter, 5/8 long with 3 ribs and is in a heat shrink tubing (I have seen blue, green, and brown). I purchase these in a electronics store for about 10 dollars.
    Be prepared to re-enter all your CMOS settings.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for your help George. I've found a real time clock on the board just bottom right of a fan. Not sure if it plugs in or is soldered so will leave it for my electronics guy to replace. I've got a Bridgeport floppy with "back up disc" on it - I assume this will have the CMOS settings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mckillop View Post
    Thanks for your help George. I've found a real time clock on the board just bottom right of a fan. Not sure if it plugs in or is soldered so will leave it for my electronics guy to replace. I've got a Bridgeport floppy with "back up disc" on it - I assume this will have the CMOS settings on it.
    cmos (bios) is accessed thru holding down the del or f1 button on boot up of the machine

most likely all you will have to do is enter the bios then save/exit

most bios will auto detect hard drive , floppy drive , keyboard ,mouse

CMOS settings on the Bridgeport are just like any PC CMOS. The basic config will probably work just fine. You can reset the on board clock if you like...or not. The OS (operating system) is stored on the drive and loaded on each boot up. Nothing should have been lost there.

Thanks for all the help, I'll get the battery replaced and [fingers crossed] will be back up running.

Replaced the real time clock chip and machine is back up running. Thanks for the advise and help.