586,075 active members*
4,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: water cooling or air cooling spindle?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • water cooling

8 61.54%
  • air cooling

5 38.46%

Thumbs up Water cooling or air cooled spindle

So now comes the topic.
    Most clients, before making the buying decision, ask "which spindle is better, water cooling or air cooled?"

Well, in my opinion, air cooled spindle is my favorite if I am going to buy myself a machine.
    First, water cooling requires a lot of stuff to be prepared for it, like water, pump, tank, etc. While, air cooled spindle does not need all these!
    Second, air cooled spindle does not damage your wood panels, however, water leaking from the water cooling spindles is very much likely to damage your material.
    Third, and most import. Working life! Air cooled spindle generally lasts much longer than water cooling spindles, more reliable here.

Welcome your disccusions on this topic.

Why does air cooled last longer?

I went water cooled, I regularly cut carbon sheet under water, and the fan from the air cooled routers and spindles makes a mess unless you deflect it, which doesnt help with cooling, especially when its over 100°F ambient.

Used a good pump, radiator and real tygon tubing, no metals besides aluminum in the system, distilled water and coolant and im good to go for a good while. Semi-sealed resivior with room for expansion.

Have the vfd set up to turn the pump on and off, with a 90 second turn off delay.

Coolant leaks shouldnt be an issue if installed and maintained correctly, provided you dont use vinyl tubing from a home/garden center!

I have never had 1 leak or problem with my water cooled spindle.

Thank you guys for your comments.

Water cooled?

OK guys I am about to purchase a cnc router. We only work in wood.and a water leak would not be good!
    please anyone want to add their two cents as to which way i should go. Water or air cooled spindles?
    We are swinging towards water cooled as living in Hawaii the ambient air temp. is always in the low 90s.
    Piko

spindle

Quote Originally Posted by piko111647 View Post
    OK guys I am about to purchase a cnc router. We only work in wood.and a water leak would not be good!
    please anyone want to add their two cents as to which way i should go. Water or air cooled spindles?
    We are swinging towards water cooled as living in Hawaii the ambient air temp. is always in the low 90s.
    Piko
    Hi Piko,

Air cooled is of course the one to choose for your application. No water leakage, no need for water refilling, no bearing broken problem

Air cooled less plumbing. For me I live in a cold area and if I loos power no heat so no frozen and cracked parts

air cooled

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    Air cooled less plumbing. For me I live in a cold area and if I loos power no heat so no frozen and cracked parts
    agree