586,077 active members*
3,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Hive8 G0704 CNC Build

Hello everyone together... I wanted to document my build here, i ordered the mill from Grizzly on April 23rd and got it delivered today, Box everything seems fine and i will put it in the shop to look it over... Ordering and delivery was really smooth and fast. I will post pictures later...

Now its time to take it appart, clean everything and start the conversation...

What i wanted to do is the following...

Now:
    CNC build with Keiling Digital Drivers based on Hoss Heavy Digital Kit...
    Threatmill Motor Conversation with Belt

Later:
    New Mounts for the Stepper Motors
    New Screws to get the blacklash out...
    Oiler
    Mist Cooler or Fluid Cooling
    Enclosure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo Apr 27, 18 36 27.jpg   Photo Apr 27, 18 37 13.jpg  
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

Welcome to the club hive! Man, sounds like you ordered at the perfect time.
    Make sure to read thru the manual, there is good basic info in there on setting up the mill
    that many seem to overlook.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

And let us know if the 3 bolt mod is already done or not

Quote Originally Posted by hive8 View Post
    ... I wanted to document my build here.......What i wanted to do is the following...

Now:
    CNC build with Keiling Digital Drivers based on Hoss Heavy Digital Kit...
    Threatmill Motor Conversation with Belt

Later:
    New Mounts for the Stepper Motors
    New Screws to get the blacklash out...
    Oiler
    Mist Cooler or Fluid Cooling
    Enclosure

Hi there hive8 welcome, you're off to a good start since you're prioritising….. And like you’re going to do I used my conversion to make better mounts too….

Keep loads of pics flowing too….
    Eoin

Will be taking the mill apart on the weekend, its still in the box, kkk...

Just wanted to update and show what i am going to make with it mainly, some laser modules i have been planning for some time now.

Btw the dimensions are mm, kkk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser Q Closed.jpg   Quad Q Open.jpg   XY Mirror Mount.jpg  
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

Nice design and renderings. What are the lasers for?

Your planning steppers rather than servos?

Paul

These lasers are modules that i use for shows i do here in Los Angeles... But why not sell them later if people like them . I am going to Stepper route with the Digital Keiling Drivers 5060D right now containplating about the Computer and Software Setup...

Option 1:
    Mach 3 ($149) with a Ethernet Smooth Stepper ($189)

Option 2:
    LinuxCNC (former EMC2 + (free)) with a parallel port
    i have a amd PC i can use for that if not i would need to get one of these ATOM CPU boards that everyone is using.

Since i want to do HSM path not sure if the parallel port can handle it, i have been reading it generates a lot of GCode...

But i will know and see in the next 1 - 2 weeks...

Yeah the Smooth Stepper (and I see you're quoting the Eithernet version price) will rid the host PC of the processing and should definitely help you towards your HSM....and I love the renderings, what CAD rendering are you using?
    Eoin

I use Solidworks 2012, i have been using it since the year 2000 when i saw it first and fell in love, i did a project for this company Stark Mounting Systems (Welcome to STARK Spannsysteme GmbH)... changed there internal system for dealing with media (Catalogs, Graphics, Animations, 3D Catalogs, Website and so on), but then i moved to Los Angeles... kkk.

Rendering was also done in Solidworks, but i will give this new program a try called Keyshot 3 (KeyShot - 3D Rendering and Animation software) and for CAD i heard a lot of good things about SpaceClaim (SpaceClaim|3D Direct Modeling Software for Engineering, Manufacturing and CAE), i wanted to try that as well... its insane how fast it is and what you can do with it...

Thanks for the links, might just have to try them to pretty up my models.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Hoss if you need any help with models, CAD, Rendering or WEB let me know i am more then welcome to help you out... just a way of giving back since you help a lot in my reseach for the mill and the CNC part...

I use Solidworks 2012....but i will give this new program a try called Keyshot 3...

Yeah cheers for the links and Keyshot is also offered with Alibre as a plugin option for rendering too it's a pretty darn good piece of software as when I was researching my CAD/CAM software I looked into Alibre....but now I use Rhino (well I'm still learning) and I bought it for it's 3D free form surface modelling capabilities it’s flippin brilliant….as I couldn’t download an evaluation version of Solidworks, does it have the ability to create surfacing drawings?
    Eoin

Yes Solidworks has Surface Free Form Design, never used it that much tho so can not comment on it how good it is... Rhino 3D is pretty good with that for sure. But if you go to manufacturing its Soildworks all the way nothing i have seen other then Huge CAD / CAM packages beat it. If you have assembles need Bill of Materials, Reference Parts that you buy somewhere else, just the whole manufacturing side is so much better, also drawings. Then communicate your design in 3D, pdf all handled by Solidworks...

Also i use the free HSMWorks Express CAM Package for Solidworks super easy and great to use since it is build into solidworks

Yes Solidworks has Surface Free Form Design.......
    again thanks for your explaination, I couldn't have asked for more.....!
    Eoin

Solidworks has surfacing, and it is OK. But Rhino is a true surfacing program, yet lacks in the other solid-based areas. The industrial designers at my work all use Rhino, then we cross our fingers and hope to get Solidworks to generate the same surfaces.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    Solidworks has surfacing, and it is OK. But Rhino is a true surfacing program, yet lacks in the other solid-based areas. The industrial designers at my work all use Rhino, then we cross our fingers and hope to get Solidworks to generate the same surfaces.
    Thanks for that jid2 and yup I agree that Rhino as a true freeform surfacing software it’s capabilities are limitless but on the other hand when I’m designing a compilation of moving and or working parts I revert to Alibre (it’s all I could afford) for it’s price it’s pretty hard to beat in 3D Solid parametric design and as I have no SolidWorks experience your view is quite interesting and as a Rhino user I have 36 export file options and I always assumed that Solidworks being one of the top end CAD suppliers would support or have the capability to import most file extension types....
    Eoin

This is kinda off topic for this thread, but solidworks can open a wide range of file types, thats not an issue. But in the real design/engineering world you rarely import a model and use it as-is, its not flexible enough. Im talking about creating G1 and G2 level surfaces with solidworks from scratch, which it cant really do, and rhino can.

Carry on with the G0704 conversion!
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Wink

My extreme apologies here too hive8 I hadn’t meant to stray or divert your thread I was just replying to jid2’s comment…
    Eoin

No worries, that's complete OK. Its a good topic. I have also a blog where i will document my complete build... There it will be more structured... So if someone needs resources they can find it there as well...

The first step that i do in my conversation is scrape the ways on the X, Y and Z (if necessary the Z). I expect that will take me at least 1 week. So i want to ask for the procedure in doing it correct, i also will need to buy the tool, the blue and a flat surface.

Where can i get a flat surface that works for this task...
    Do i need to get a granite counter top made for measuring, if yes where would i buy these, i am in Los Angeles?
    Can i use a 1/2" thick glass plate or something similar?

Where can i order the blue paste and the scraping tools from?

Then for the procedure...
    From what i understand and remember in school.

Y Axis
    1. Get master top and bottom flat and parallel.
    2. Get the second part conform to the master where the surfaces are touching.
    3. Get the dovetail parallel.
    4. Get the dovetail touching surfaces flat.

X Axis
    1. Get master top and bottom flat and parallel.
    2. Get the second part conform to the master where the surfaces are touching.

Z Axis
    1. Get master (column) top and bottom flat and parallel.
    2. Get the second part (head) conform to the master where the surfaces are touching.

Please let me know if i am on the right track here...

For the dial indicator i was thinking getting this one anyone can confirm that good or has a different suggestion...
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-digital-electronic-indicator-0-00005/dp/B001DC96YK/ref=sr_1_16?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1335743024&sr =1-16"]Amazon.com: Anytime Tools digital electronic indicator dial gauge gage 0.5"/0.00005" X-large LCD display: Home Improvement[/ame]

Page 1 of 5 123