586,089 active members*
3,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 450 oz Stepper and Gecko 202 compatible?

450 oz Stepper and Gecko 202 compatible?

I have found 3 used steppers for $65US each. They are Applied Motion 4034-334 and are rated at 450oz / in. (http://electromate.com/db_support/do...ec%20Sheet.pdf)

I need a minimum of 400oz / inch for each motor and I am planning to buy 3 Gecko 202's to control them.

Does anyone see any problems with this purchase? I have been assured by personal reference that the supplier is OK.

What voltage power supply would you guys recommend?

Thanks very much..... your help is much appreciated.

Andy

They're unipolar, but should be ok as long as you run them as 1/2 winding bipolar. For best performance, use as high of a voltage as the 202's will allow.

Motor top speed.

With the milli-henry rating, I think that one would have to use a low acceleration setting, and I believe the top speed would be limited especially if microstepping is used.

This is due to the amount of time required to get the rotational mass of the stepper to move. Higher acceleration settings might cause the motor to miss steps. Also, at higher speeds under load, the stepper might just stop and make a humming sound.

Just my experience speaking - no calculations used.

Jerry