586,116 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bond Pin to shaft

I mounted my spindle motor in the lathe. Then center drilled, drilled, and reamed a 0.250 hole in the back end of the 7.5 hp motor shaft.

I just ordered the encoder from US Digital.

I'd like a way to bond a roll pin in the motor. It just has to hold the torque of the encoder, almost nothing. Ideally, make it removable for a future repair.

What would you do?

Karl

I would use loctite 609. Put a dab opn and put the pin in. It is removable too. Check their website.

Incidentally, what are you using the encoder for? is it just for spindle speed control, or do you also intend using it for constant surface feed and threading? If so the encoder for these functions should be mounted to run off the final chuck shaft. It would be OK if the motor was direct drive, but usually there is some reduction or gearing.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If this is for mounting a coupler between the motor and encoder, a roll pin would not be a good choice. A dowel pin would be better. Verify that it runs on center to avoid vibration transmitting to the encoder at high speeds. A 1:1 timing belt setup gives good isolation.

DC