586,042 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS VF3 ATC problem

Hey guys,

Im wondering if anyone has any solutions to my little problem.
    I run a VF3 at work and for example because its the worst culprit, my 42mil button cutter. If im roughing a block and tool change the cat 40 will almost and sometimes has gotten stuck in the spindle and pulls up on the umbrella tool changer. I've tried cleaning the spindle and holders and using a light oil on the cat 40 tapers but I'm all out of ideas, I want to get it fixed before its does any serious damage to the tool changer.

Any help would be great thanks

Could be the drawbar needs work, or worse, the tool is fretting in to the spindle. Oil is usually not recommended to put on holders except for storage. The oil can actually make it worse by hydro locking in to the taper. Could be your unclamp unit is not up to snuff, not pushing the tool out hard enough. Run the spindle up and see if you are getting any heat inside the taper as well. That can sweat tools in, but bad news as it could be bearings. Many many threads about haas here with the same symptoms.

thanks a lot man Ill clean the thing bone dry and see what happens, I'll have to talk to the millwright at work about the draw bar. I have a feeling it could be hydro locking because it also pops when i use my through spindle coolant