586,481 active members*
2,243 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Needing a little guidence

Hey, new guy here to CNC machines. I would like to build one for hobby esq building tasks and what not. I plan to build one. My time restraints and money aren't really an issue, but im trying to stay within the $800 on all hardware and electronics. So if the people of the community could give me a little guidance that would be great!

The cheapest linear motion you can probably go with would be the parts from CNCRouterParts Look at the linear carriages and you will see what I mean. What size table are you looking to make?

Your budget is too small unless you want a toy.

A basic set of motors, drive electronics and power supply is going to cost you about $400.
    The mechanics for a small gantry in MDF, which is about the cheapest you can build, is going to be another $400-500 assuming you make all the MDF parts yourself rather than buy a kit.

Then you need software. You can use EMC, which is free, but there are no really decent CAM programs. $150 for Cut 2D, or Cam Bam or something else. If you want Mach3, another $150.

You need a computer to run it. You might have one, but if not, even a used one with a display, keyboard, mouse and Windoze license is at least $100.

Think $1200 as long as you are thinking 12" x 12" or so and use a dremel or something like it for a spindle. Sort of depends on a lot of variables. Some folks have managed to do the Solsyva machines around $1200.

I built my first machine, a Solsylva.com plans build, for around that much, including the Xylotex drive/motor kit. Maybe the skate bearing setup is not the most ridgid, but I found it pretty adequate for the hobby uses I had then. I'd probably go more heavy-duty if you plan to rely on income from your machine. It's getting tougher, but there are stil a lot of great deals on eBay...

First what is the work size you need?