586,449 active members*
3,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

first job with swiss machines

I might be getting a job shortly setting up and learning to program swiss screw machines. I don't know much about them just word of mouth and what I saw during an interview and am wondering what I'm getting into. I've been setting up and programing traditional mills and lathes for a couple of years in a job shop making aerospace parts. I feel confident that I'll be able to do the job but just wanted to hear you guy's two cents. Any advise/suggestions?

What is the type of Swiss Machine?

I was just told they were swiss screw machines, I was under the impression there was only one kind. Like I said I know almost nothing about them.

All I can say is keep an open mind.
    The swiss machine is quite different from either a lathe or a mill.
    Your previous experience may get in your way or may tend to muddy the waters so to speak.
    Will you be working under any experienced tutelage at your new position?
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

Quote Originally Posted by ProProcess View Post
    All I can say is keep an open mind.
    +1

The swiss machine is quite different from either a lathe or a mill.
    +1 - We consider our swiss to be essentially 2 lathes and 2 mills, all in one machine. Just using a different thought process.

Your previous experience may get in your way or may tend to muddy the waters so to speak.
    +1 - This goes along with the different thought process. These machines are not the 20-40 HP lathes or mills most people use. Most swiss machines have main spindles in the 2-5 HP, some having 7.5 HP on the main. The sub spindles usually top out at 2-3 HP, some having 5 HP. And the live tooling, depending on the machine, will be anywhere from 0.5-2 HP. To make a long story short, you aren't going to take 0.200" DOC per side in turning, and feed at 0.010" IPR. The other big difference on a swiss is, you will have to do all the ID work first. The reason for which, will become apparent if/when you start working with them.

They are scary at first because there are so many things that can be happening at once. They are magnificent machines, though, once you get used to them!

Best of luck to you!:cheers:

Mike

Thanks for the replies, I would be working with tutelage at first with the potential for schooling to learn the programming. I've been checking out youTUBE videos and these machines are real impressive looking, hope this works out.

This too is a great place for help and information.
    Good luck in your new position and let us know how you like it.
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.