586,546 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Need help on mini lathe and mill purchase super newbie

Need help on mini lathe and mill purchase super newbie

I know nothing about either just that i want them to make rc parts. Should i get the 3 in one or 2 minis? What assesories will i need to get started? Aluminum milling, rod link threading and boring smaller rod anything i can do i guess. Never been around either machine dont need the best just one that will work good for a hobbiest.have watched videos amazing what can be made.

That's a tall order to fill. It might help if you could be more specific about the dimensions of the workpieces you intend to fabricate as well as a description of the materials you intend to work with (beyond "aluminum") and some ideas about the tolerances that you need to maintain in making your parts. Without information like that, your question is sort of like asking "what kind of car should I get" without providing much in the way of details.

You would do good to get some hands-on experience before contemplating buying any machine(s). My best recommendation would be for you to sign up for an introductory Machine Tool Technology class or two that may be available from a local vocational school or community college, and then come back here and do some reading and discussion.

Some people use 3-in-1 machines because the price looks attractive, however they are generally considered to be an inferior solution compared with individual machines that are designed for specific tasks, due to the inevitable tradeoffs made in the design. Also note that a major problem with a 3-in-1 machine is the need to set up and tear down fixtures when you move from one operation on a part to another. Over time that can become tedious and time-consuming. So I suspect that you will be happier with individual machines.

A lot of hobbyists start with low-end mini mills and mini lathes such as the ones from Harbor Freight or Little Machine Shop, and then they move on to more suitable machines after they have learned a bit. Little Machine Shop also sells starter kits of tooling and other accessories that can give you an idea of what you might need to equip a hobbyist machine shop.

You may find these two guides to be of interest:

http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/Mi...UsersGuide.pdf

http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/Mi...UsersGuide.pdf

I intend using the lathe for no larger than 1/4 stock and mill will be alum and steel but fairly thin. I want to machine small brackets and bumpers ect. Dont have to be perfect by any means

Is there any real differance between harbor freight the little machine shop and grizzley equiptment i know price difference is pretty big deal dont know why when all made in china at same factories?

Here's a mini lathe comparison chart:

LittleMachineShop.com - Mini Lathe Comparison

So the for bang for the buck the grizzly is prob the best? Harbor freight is way cheaper and little machine shop is way more. As for assesories what will i need to start with small alum and steel 1/4 inch max prob for lathe and mill steel to. Thankyou from newbie

I went for low price and got the Harbor Freight 7 x 10 mini lathe, using a 25% off coupon to make it even more attractive. But the bed of a 7 x 10 is really short, and so I ended up buying the extended bed to turn it into a 7 x 14. I just got the bed extension delivered to my doorstep last week, and so I don't have much in the way of experience using it.

To get started with accessories, you would probably want to look at a quick-change toolpost (QCTP), some center drills, and some tooling (learn to make your own HSS tooling on a grinder is the usual recommendation, but some people ignore that and go right to replaceable insert tooling).

Little Machine Shop sells a starter kit that can give you some ideas:

LittleMachineShop.com - Tooling Package, Mini Lathe Premium

So you wouldnt be afraid of the7x12? I can get so much of a better deal from harbor freight on both tools. I know its the cheapest but they are all made in the same place.

I plan to use my lathe for aluminum only.

I do not have experience using it for steel. Also, I have no plans to do threading on my lathe. So you may want to get another opinion or two before making any decisions.

A lot of people consider the 7x mini lathes to be almost toys, and they recommend going with a 9x or larger (such as a G0602 from Grizzly).

A lot of people consider the 7x mini lathes to be almost toys
    Nope,they were designed for the modeller in mind,but on saying that they can turn parts for any components within their capability.

I have turned SS on the mini lathe with a decent finish but its been small bars of SS

I know nothing about either just that i want them to make rc parts.
    Join a forum that is in your field of craft and get experience from those who have bought a lathe and mill for your specific needs.

No use going into a paintshop and asking for a lb of bananas.

Thats what i am a modeler and great to hear i could thread or turn ss rod small for suspension links. Sounds like harbor freight will do fine for me i can spend the rest on the assesories.

My dad bought the 7x10, the quick change tool post, then promptly bought the 14" bed. He does rc plane stuff on it. Also bought a z axis scale. He likes it ok, but told me he wishes he would have just bought a bigger one to begin with. Learned his lesson I guess, he just bough a Bridgeport sized knee mill instead of a benchtop mill.

Im thiking 7x12 maybe i should look bigger heck its hard parts should all be fairly small for what im planning anyway

One accessory you should buy for the lathe is a faceplate and clamps,and if you buy a lathe that has self centering 3 jaw chuck,you cannot hold square stock in it.

Any other sugestions i really appreciat the help. I dont want to buy alot of stuff i wont use.

Personally, I'd keep an eye out on Craig's list. Been some very nice lathes in my area fairly cheap lately. Most had some nice tooling with them.