586,104 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Sprutcam

Sprutcam

Guys,
    Is it possible to cut an internal snap ring groove with Sprutcam? I have a custom cutter specified (key seat cutter) that will do the job, I just cant figure out how to get it to cut the groove.

thanks for any input on this problem.
    mike sr

Hi Mike,
    I attached a zipped SC project file with how I would do this.
    The attached screen cap shows what model geometry to pick for a 2D Contour operation. I did not set speeds and feeds and did the cut in one pass, just quick and dirty to illustrate.
    HTH,
    Gerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ring.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Sweetland View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I attached a zipped SC project file with how I would do this.
    The attached screen cap shows what model geometry to pick for a 2D Contour operation. I did not set speeds and feeds and did the cut in one pass, just quick and dirty to illustrate.
    HTH,
    Gerry
    Thanks again Gerry!

It never ceases to amaze me what you know about Sprutcam and its various functions.
    You also explain things very well and with pictures ha! I am trying to cut a passage in a part, similar to a snap ring groove and tried the restrict area, job assignment etc without any luck, I could redefine the cutter size to get the depth I needed but it would cut the part that needs to be restricted as well.

I am making some progress but it seems like its going to be a long learning process for me.....

thanks again for your help!
    mike sr

You're more than welcome Mike.

I don't know SprutCam very well really, maybe only about 1% of what SprutCam is capable of . When I bought my package from Tormach I promised myself that for around the $1000 I paid for SprutCam I was going to learn SprutCam even if it killed me

I looked at all the video tutorials that are available on the web from Tormach and the Sprut UK site. Sprut UK tutorials are very good by the way. I have also read as much as I could from this forum and the Tormach forum.

The operation I picked in the project (2D Contour) and the geometry I picked for the groove can be generic for other features in other types of models or parts too.

One of the ways that helped to learn was to just start picking operations and geometry features and see what effect it had on the tool path or simulation.

Gerry

I have learned over the years that the more projects I did for others the better I became at them, I used to figure six projects of the same thing and i keep the last one after I have the bugs worked out ha!!

I finally got my project to work for me, the approach I used was wrong, I have it working now and the other problem is with redrawing the geometry a bit in Alibre or Rhino as some of the dimensions are not correct.

I have watched several of the videos from Tormach on Sprutcam, I need to spend more time on them, I learn better with some button pushing than thru the videos, they go too fast for me and the resolution of the videos isnt all that good. I like your pictures much better!

thanks
    mike sr

Re: Sprutcam

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Sweetland View Post
    You're more than welcome Mike.

I don't know SprutCam very well really, maybe only about 1% of what SprutCam is capable of . When I bought my package from Tormach I promised myself that for around the $1000 I paid for SprutCam I was going to learn SprutCam even if it killed me

I looked at all the video tutorials that are available on the web from Tormach and the Sprut UK site. Sprut UK tutorials are very good by the way. I have also read as much as I could from this forum and the Tormach forum.

The operation I picked in the project (2D Contour) and the geometry I picked for the groove can be generic for other features in other types of models or parts too.

One of the ways that helped to learn was to just start picking operations and geometry features and see what effect it had on the tool path or simulation.

Gerry
    Dig up old threads !
    Thinking same way and I need more material to learn. A couple threads have videos from uk site that were great.
    I watched one on tabs that was very insightful and I would have learned a bunch of things faster had I watched this a month ago.
    Not clear when I try to find these videos home I end up at a pay support site!
    Is this correct ?
    Gerry?
    Any help would be great ?
    btw Thanks again Gerry for help. I have started to review and take notes on your many posts here.
    md

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Dig up old threads !
    Thinking same way and I need more material to learn. A couple threads have videos from uk site that were great.
    I watched one on tabs that was very insightful and I would have learned a bunch of things faster had I watched this a month ago.
    Not clear when I try to find these videos home I end up at a pay support site!
    Is this correct ?
    Gerry?
    Any help would be great ?
    btw Thanks again Gerry for help. I have started to review and take notes on your many posts here.
    md

Hi MD,
    Yes, it is a pay for support site but it is well worth it.
    I don't know why but there are a couple of videos out there that anyone can still view w/o being a subscriber.
    Her is a link to the Sprut Tech. UK site...
    Sprut Technology (UK) Ltd. support site
    I am pretty sure you need to register with the site to fully view the subscriptions page (before you pay anything).
    Here is a screen cap of the subscription page.
    Attachment 240126
    I just did the 4 week subscription, but I subscribed to it two times. Not too bad at 30GBP per 4 week subscription, currently that is roughly $51.00.
    The gentleman that does the videos is very clear and concise. And the one on one session is very well done as well as the email responses. A subscription gets you all the videos, SC 2007, SC 7 and SC 8 and they all translate well to what ever version you are running and are worth the subscription price alone.

And you are welcome for any thing you may be learning from my old posts, but I think you have progressed far beyond my limited expertise on the subject :cheers:
    Good luck,
    Gerry

Thanks for info!
    I will look at a 4week subscription
    I didn't want to get scammed so I figured to ask here if this was the real thing and where those videos are rooted.
    The one I watched was well done and I think I can learn a great deal from them
    md