586,103 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

serial communication to tl-1

Having trouble getting serial connection to work from laptop to control. Laptop has no serial port so I purchased a usb to 9 pin serial RS232 adaptor. I am using another cable/adaptor to get from 9 pin to the 25 pin on the cabinet. I have tried both standard serial cables and rs232 cables. No Luck. Have any of you run into this?

Should I ditch this idea and get a network card for the haas control?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kim

Let us know what program you are using to send and what all of your settings are.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I am using Gibbs.

Gibbs Settings

Baud 38,400
    Parity Even
    Data 7
    Stop 1
    Hand Shake Xon/Xoff
    EOB CR/LF
    Com 1

Haas TL-1 Settings

11 Baud 38,400
    12 Parity Even
    13 Stop 1
    14 Hand Shake Xon/Xoff

37 Data Bits 7
    24 Leader None
    25 EOB CR/LF

41 Add Space ON
    50 Aux Axis Xon/Xoff
    54 Aux Ax Baud 4800
    69 Dprint lead sp OFF
    70 Dprint open close ON

Using Top Serial Port 1

Let ma know if you need any other information.

Kim

How is the 9-25 cable/adaptor wired?

You should have:

DB25 <-------> DB9

2 <-------------> 2
    3 <-------------> 3
    7 <-------------> 5

Since your handshake is set to XON/XOFF you don't need any more than that. You can check it with an ohmmeter or an RS232 serial tester.

Thanks,

I know with just a serial rs232 cable it is pretty easy setup.
    Thanks for the pinout configuration. I think my problem lies with the usb to 9pin adaptor. I have a newer laptop with no serial port. How can I check to see if the adaptor mimicks a standard 9 pin serial port? I can ring out the cable but i dont know enough to check the adaptor.

Kim

Haas Factory Support

Post the manufacturer's part number and we can look up the wiring diagram on it.

Also, just to make sure... Have you read the manual for the RS-232 communications?
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Ken,

Iogear GUC232A

IOGEAR - GUC232A - USB to Serial RS-232 Adapter

USB to 9 pin adaptor

I have read the book on the rs232 communications.

If I had a standard computer with a serial port would I be using a standard rs232 9 to 25 pin cable? Or a null modem cable? I guess I just need to check the pin outs on my cables.

Thanks,

Kim

Haas Factory Support

I spent 30 seconds looking for the diagram for that cable and I could not find it. Let's assume that it is the standard 9-pin connection. There is a pin diagram here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/blogs/...-232_help.html

You can checkout the 9-25 adapter and make sure that is correct.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

:bs:

Well the saga continues.

I have 4 cables. I checked the pinouts on all and found one that has the send/receive pin2-3 & pin3-2. It also has the 5-7 pin. This is a 9-25pin cable. So according to what all of you are saying I have the correct cable.

I decided to delete/uninstall the Iogear driver for the 9 pin to usb adaptor. I rebooted and reinstalled it. I left the settings on the port as the default. I did this because last time I set the port up to match the gibbs and the haas control settings.

Does not work. I think my next attempt is to use my older laptop with a serial port to see if I can send the file with this cable. If it works it is obviously this p.o.s. adaptor.

Thanks you for all for the information. I will follow up with how I make out.

Kim

Haas Factory Support

Quote Originally Posted by gkmotzart View Post
    I will follow up with how I make out.
    Any luck? What operating system are you using? Have you tried using Hyper Terminal? Do you have access to a proven cable?
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Not really. We have confirmed that the 9-25 pin rs232 cable is correct. We have also confirmed that the usb/9pin adaptor is a p.o.s. It does not work an when checking into it further we found that there are many complaints on the iogear adaptor with regards to its win 7 driver. I am using win 7 64 bit. Next step is to return the adaptor and ge a different brand that is win 7 64 bit certified. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Kim

:bs:

Well the saga continues.

I have 4 cables. I checked the pinouts on all and found one that has the send/receive pin2-3 & pin3-2. It also has the 5-7 pin. This is a 9-25pin cable. So according to what all of you are saying I have the correct cable.

I decided to delete/uninstall the Iogear driver for the 9 pin to usb adaptor. I rebooted and reinstalled it. I left the settings on the port as the default. I did this because last time I set the port up to match the gibbs and the haas control settings.

Does not work. I think my next attempt is to use my older laptop with a serial port to see if I can send the file with this cable. If it works it is obviously this p.o.s. adaptor.

Thanks you for all for the information. I will follow up with how I make out.

Kim
    So you're saying 2 and 3 are crossed? This won't work. On a 9-25 they go straight through 2-2 and 3-3.

Hmmm. I will be back by the cable in a few hours and I will confirm again what I have.

Thanks!

Well I guess my cable is no good as well. Pin 2 and 3 have continuity in both directions. In the haas documentation I may have been looking at the db25 to db25 cable pinout in which pin 2 & 3 are twisted.

Thanks for the catch.

I am going to try to find an adaptor (win 7 64 bit) and the proper cable. Thanks all for the help. I will let you know how I make out.

Kim

Is this cable readily available? I have checked rs232 cables and modem cables and they have the pin 2-3 & 3-2. Is this a cable that I need to have custom made?

Thanks,

Kim

I think it may be this null modem cable.

Kim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Haas Factory Support

I think it may be this null modem cable.
    That looks correct, It matches the diagram I posted earlier.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Dcoupar,

He is saying his USB to Serial adapter is a P.O.S!!!!!

I think if you search USB to serial adapters in the forum you will see hundreds of others that complain they don't work! We are talking Windows 7 now, 32bit and 64 bit operating system and the vendors of these devices have ported their code over from Window 2000/XP into these operating systems and call it supported! Well, one clue is where they are being sold from, websites that sell computer parts and probably never talked to a machine tool (or have a clue what one is). If the unit is less than $100 bucks and can't talk to the machine tool vendor or DNC company about the device, it's probably garbage.
    I just posted about a Fadal DNC issue starving a machine because the USB to serial adapter. Last week, a call from a customer in MD who had a Mitsubishi who sent to the machine 1 time and then it stops. Reboot, try again, no luck, different comm port each time and the software was fine. It's the device!

If you need more help on this topic, let me know as I am happy to try to resolve!
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Quote Originally Posted by gm3211 View Post
    Dcoupar,

He is saying his USB to Serial adapter is a P.O.S!!!!!

I think if you search USB to serial adapters in the forum you will see hundreds of others that complain they don't work! We are talking Windows 7 now, 32bit and 64 bit operating system and the vendors of these devices have ported their code over from Window 2000/XP into these operating systems and call it supported! Well, one clue is where they are being sold from, websites that sell computer parts and probably never talked to a machine tool (or have a clue what one is). If the unit is less than $100 bucks and can't talk to the machine tool vendor or DNC company about the device, it's probably garbage.
    I just posted about a Fadal DNC issue starving a machine because the USB to serial adapter. Last week, a call from a customer in MD who had a Mitsubishi who sent to the machine 1 time and then it stops. Reboot, try again, no luck, different comm port each time and the software was fine. It's the device!

If you need more help on this topic, let me know as I am happy to try to resolve!
    Greg,

I understood what he said about the P.O.S. USB adapter, but he also said: "Well I guess my cable is no good as well. Pin 2 and 3 have continuity in both directions. In the haas documentation I may have been looking at the db25 to db25 cable pinout in which pin 2 & 3 are twisted."

So, it looks to me as if he has two problems.

Sorry I have not been back in a while.

I had to completely give up on the usb to serial adaptor. After 4 different units that all said that they would work with win7 64 bit i had to say enough. My 2 cents is these adaptors are a POS.

Since then I have put a serial card in my del xp pc and everything works fine. I am using 9 pin and 25 pin serial to rj45 adaptors that you wire yourself. Cost a couple bucks a piece. Also using a cat 5 cable to join the two. Works great.

I really appreciate all the help on this issue! Your input was a big help.

Thanks,

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12