586,100 active members*
2,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Newbie question about small VFD spindles

Newbie question about small VFD spindles

I am confused about small VFD spindles and hope someone here can set me straight. I'm interested in the 300 w spindle from Automation Technologies (Keling) here: High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

I note the specs say it can spin between 10k and 60k rpms and that it runs at 75 volts and up to 1000 hz. The typical drives that I see such as those from Hitachi seem to produce 220 v and up to 400 hz. That seems to be too much voltage and too slow.

What is the preferred VFD drive for this spindle? A couple of emails to Keling remain unanswered.

Ask Keling. Ask them to be specific. I have had mixed results asking Keling a question before a purchase, but that's still probably the best place to get a good answer.

FYI: I recently bought a VFD from Sunfar that is 220V 1000Hz for a spindle rated to 40,000 RPM. I'll have to set it up so it stops or peaks at about 670hz.

Interesting.... Keling lists a Sunfar VFD, but they say its .25 to 3.7kw. I highly doubt they are selling the 3.7kw version for only 299.99. More likley they cut and pasted a generic sales listing from Sunfar or AliExpress.

Definitely ask questions. I suspect they mislabeled the motor you are asking about in some fashion too.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I have that spindle and the Sunfar VFD that goes with it, Mini-type Integrated Universal Inverter (VFD) Automation Technology Inc

I havent had a chance to actually cut something with it, but I have powered it up and it seems to work just fine, No idea how fast its actually spinning since I dont have a tach but it goes damn fast.

That spindle is tiny though, and only holds 1/8" bits. Im going to use it to engrave stainless steel and other metals.