586,105 active members*
3,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fadal EMC

Fadal EMC

I have a question about the lube on the EMC, we bought a new machine from a guy that bought it from Fadal but never used it, There is no auto oiler on this machine. Is there i schedule that we need to follow to keep everything lubed with grease? and also how many zerk fittings are there?

Thanks
    YZ426Tony

Never seen an EMC in person, but...if there are grease zerks there should be 4-5 for each axis, 2 sets (one for x and one for y) under the left side of the table, and one set on the z axis up on the head in a bank / manifold.

They need to be hit with 2-3 pumps at least once every week or two depends on how much you run it. If 24/7 you need to be a little more liberal, if you only run it once a week then you can probably back off a bit.

All of this is the on line documentation on Fadal's site. They have a special section just on the EMC. You should down load it. They reccoment Mobiltemp sh-32 if I remember right, double check that.

Use Mobiltemp SHC-32 every 3-6 months, depending on usage.
    You have to remove the x,y, and z way covers to get to the ballnuts and linear bearing way blocks.

Your machine should have the maintenance information on the back of it.

I don't know how many fittings it has...I haven't owned mine for that long.

hope this helps!

Justin

3-6 months? You sure?

Yes, I am sure.

The manual says 3-6 months depending on usage, the back of the machine says 6 months.

If it were weekly, I would definately be fabricating (or buying) an automatic oiler!

So what do you think of those EMCs? Looks like a nice machine for the money.

I'm really happy with mine so far. It was a no-brainer against the Haas Mini-mill.

My only complaint (and it really isn't a big deal) is the z-axis clearance. With 4" gage length CAT40s in the turret, they get sort of close to workpiece in the vice as the table moves beneath it. Not enough to be a problem, it just catches my eye.

I think Fadal cut prices in the right areas, as it is best descibed as a stripped down and lower hp 2016L (and less 'z'), so the basic machine is fairly substantial for the price. Mine weighed in around 5600 lbs.

The lower hp hasn't been a problem for me...the sales information said 7.5hp, but my documentation says 12hp, so I'm not really sure what I've got. Cutting performance seems to indicate more than 7.5hp, or the spindle load meter is lying. Either way I'm happy.

Thanks for the scoop on the lube for this thing, i have also been very happy with this machine, i agree with the limiting on the Z, it would have been nice with a couple more inches.

I was previously using a Sharpe 2412 mini mill, this EMC kicks is tail, i do alot of 3D surfaceing and this fadal is so much faster and smoother. I have never used a Haas mini, but i am very convinced i made a good decision on the Fadal.