586,103 active members*
3,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

rigid tapping not working

I have an old ('93) VF1. Today the rigid tapping stopped working. Spindle just sits there turning when it sees the G84 command. I know it's not the program. Must be an encoder or something. Does anyone have a step by step solution to this problem..or should i just call the hfo?

Are you absolutely positive you aren't missing a decimal in your F code?

Positive. Sent multiple programs that work fine on other machines.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmansteve View Post
    I have an old ('93) VF1. Today the rigid tapping stopped working. Spindle just sits there turning when it sees the G84 command. I know it's not the program. Must be an encoder or something. Does anyone have a step by step solution to this problem..or should i just call the hfo?

Hi There,

I have a 94' VF 3 and just installed a new rigid tap encoder (was missing when I bought it) so have some experience with it now. First, I would go to the diagnostics screen where you can see the DC bus voltage, spindle temperature, and spindle speed along with other analog data (not the screen that just shows the commanded Sxxx and the override spindle speed). If the spindle speed reads zero with the spindle on there is something wrong with the encoder feedback, and it is very likely the belt. The encoder is driven by a timing belt from the top of the shot pin (spindle orient) assembly, and I guess they have a tendency to break sometimes.

If that is not it let me know and I might be able to give you more info.

D

That makes sense. That belt was frayed the last time I saw it ... I thought that it's only function was to orientate the spindle. I'll take a look tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by metalmansteve View Post
    That makes sense. That belt was frayed the last time I saw it ... I thought that it's only function was to orientate the spindle. I'll take a look tomorrow

In addition to the belt, check the condition of the pulleys. They are made of aluminum and can become worn or distorted.

it was indeed the belt....thanks guys!