586,067 active members*
5,340 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

talon cnc 1315 lathe opinions?

I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the little talon 1315 cnc lathe, i see it on the website Smithy - Small Shop Machine Tools | smithy.com. looks like a descent little machine, 13k on sale, reg 14.75k. it has a programable 4 position tool post as well as Tslotted cross slide capable of gang type tooling, i was thinking it may be a good machine to start with when i start upgrading to cnc. I don't currently do production, usually just one offs for local businesses. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    I don't have a good signature.

I saw that machine. Looks nice on the website...does anyone own one? Would love to hear feedback from someone that has one.

Currently Setting Up & Running Smithy 1315

My employer just purchased this lathe instead of a Haas TL1. I've had experience with the Haas TL1 when it was first introduced and my previous employer purchased one of the early models.

My opinion on the Smithy Talon is…….it's heavily software based. It's not designed with a machinist in mind, but a software programmer. It's awkward to set up and use. It's biggest advantage is price and size.

Currently the biggest problem I am having with it is the machine is intended for a single production type. Profile rods and thread the ends using the tailstock. When you run the program it has to go to machine zero. When it does a tool change it has to go to machine zero. If I use the tailstock the carriage will crash into it when I run a program or a tool change is in effect.

Support is horrible. I have called the number provided. They are located in Michigan and Eastcoast. I'm in Southern California. The guy is a consultant with limited machining experience. He has sent me email links for additional info which is basically links to the manual. The manual is not as useful as it could be. It doesn't use G71 & G72 canned cycles instead it uses O commands like macros. Below is a link to a video. I set up the machine to face, chamfer, OD turn and cut off aluminum plugs. You will see the issue I'm having with the carriage returning to machine zero to start and tool change.

The machine was purchased for it's price and size. It only has one job to do and they didn't have anyone to set up and run a TL1 until I was hired on last year. They are going to purchase Haas in the near future so my job now is to learn this machine and have it set up for an inexperience operator.

The plus side of things it handles threading simply. Constant Surface and units per revolution works nicely. Having a tool changer on a conventional like lathe is nice.

Currently up and running just a few days from starting production. It's other failing is that I have to learn a more cumbersome alternative to using G71 & G72 as well an alternative to M99. I've informed that it's being worked on and will be available in future software update.

This is what I mean by heavily software base. It can explained your capabilities with future software, but you have to wait.

Far as repeatability. I have not been disappointed. It machines very well. There are no hard buttons to start, pause, no real Feed Hold option, but it does have an Emergency button.

I'm now two months now into using the Smithy Talon 1315 cnc lathe. My only real complaint is still screwy way the it inconsistently loses tool location reference. I add or change one tool and the other four seem effected. Either slightly or dramatically. Say from .01 on diameter to .500 on another tool's diameter.

That aside we have set the machine up to do only two types of jobs from cast aluminum. It has been consistent and works diligently. I am impressed for small jobs. Heck I would love it in my garage.