586,096 active members*
3,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool load

Tool load

Is there any way to make something that will monitor the load on the tool and if it reaches a set level the feed hold will activate? We have a fanuc 0i-mc controller

thanks
    Dave

there is, it can be done in the PMC. My observations shows, that if you want to monitor the load of a mill >85%, you can not be sure what will trigger first - you pmc program or spindle servo alarm 9031. I think this is because of non uniform load while milling.

I am looking to do it for drilling, so if there is a problem with the drill bit then it will hold the feed. But the trigger percentage has to be able to be changed for different tooling.

I have all the fanuc manuals for the machine, so any pointers on where to start looking for setting this up would be very helpfull

hi

do u want to make this for experience?
    is enought the ampermeter from panel for monitoring the spindel load.
    hehe is strange why u wanna go over 60% of u load .
    your bearings from the spindel will be axial overloaded and will be faster broken so my opinion make a drill program that will keep the spindel under 20% .

do you know the price for spindel baerings?

it will not worth it.

maybe u are afraid of tool will broke or something.
    stay cool will be overloaded on z axis nd after power off wiil be ok

I don't want to go over 60% of the load. It already has a load meter, but with some drilling you really have to watch is because if it goes from 10% to about 15% then you have to feed hold right away or else you will break the holder/inserts. So I want to add a automatic feed hold option for drill these kind of materials.

I do not know if it would suit your applications, but it is possible to run G83 in "small hole peck drilling mode", selectable through an M-code specified in parameter 5163 (on 0i MB). In this mode, the feedrate and rpm are automatically adjusted by the control if the spindle torque sensor sends out a skip signal on overload. Of course, an overload torque sensor has to be there for using this mode of G83.

there are 'axis load' functions on the fanuc but cahanging these settings will result in E-Stop and servo shut down

there are no standard fanuc options to put the machine into feed hold

there are pay options to swap tools based on the tool loading but this would still complete the current cycle with the current tool

I think the best advice I can give is make sure your using the correct tool and cutting fluid for the job. if the machine cannot handle it you need the correct machine.
    *~~Darwinian Man, though well-behaved, At best is only a monkey shaved!~~*
    *__________If you feel inclined to pay for the support you receive__________*
    *_______Please give to charity https://www.oxfam.org.au/get-involved/_______*