586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Pete's Cincinatti arrow 500 Adventure
Page 42 of 56 32404142434452

uli...

Actually the mesa cards are quite capable from what I have seen and read. The information on them can be found on their website Mesanet.com. My card the 7I77 can control up to six axis simultaneously and has quite a bit of I/O on it too. Dunno what the hell kind of machine you are building that needs 85+ I/O points but damn it must be awfully complex. However my 5I25 7I77 combo setup can be adapted to additional daughter cards to add more I/O and then you can use additional cards via modbus as well as parallel port if you need it because the 5I25 is a PCI card leaving the rest of the peripherals open. Whether or not your computer is up to the task is another question.

You can read a lot about the mesa cards on the linuxCNC forum page under the pncconf header which is linuxCNC's attempts to interface with the mesa cards. Lots of options and as far as I can tell basically if it can be controlled, it can be controlled with mesa/linuxCNC. That is up to nine axes and that includes capability to run hexapod style machines. The information is out there you just need to decide which direction you need and what type of encoder feedback you need to use to determine which mesa cards will work for you. Each card basically has a downloadable manual if you are not sure and Peter over there is quite knowledgeable, imagine that another very smart Peter LOL.... peace

Pete

Thanks pete, I will watch, what they can offer. Most of the I/Os is needed for the toolchanger and palletchanger. Each position is secured with a Bero, Ini, proximity switch or how the parts are named in America. The spindle have just 3 of it, Clamp open, clamp closed, and clamp closed without tool. That isn't really complex, only a simple program where one step follows the other, but the next step won't made without test, if the endposition of the previous position is reached.

uli...

Well as I said I am quite sure that some combination of the mesa cards and LinuxCNC could take care of your needs. Perhaps you should just give them a call and discuss it with Peter over there. He is very knowledgeable. Good luck man.

I am still working on trying to prepare the computer box for installation into the machine's enclosure. mounting the 7I77 is almost done and then I can start thinking about how I can wire up the e-stop and 24v circuit. I dunno how you guys feel about it but perhaps I can post a picture so you can see how this has to be physically configured inside the enclosure and then maybe you can give me some suggestions as to how best to proceed with it. I know basically how it needs to go but the relay setups is what I am hoping for suggestions on. Peace

Pete

Hey Pete,

As promised, I did the research into the 5i25+7i77 combo. This is the info you need to get pncconf to see the cards.

LinuxCNC Support Forum :: Topic: 5i25 firmware XML files for pncconf (1/1)

Now, on the E-Stop. What *I* would do, is run the 24v through the N/C contacts of the E-Stop, and the N/O Contacts on a Charge Pump (CNC4PC). With the proper config in LinuxCNC when you turn the machine on using the toggle button in LinuxCNC, it will energize the Charge Pump relay, and if you E-Stop is in run position, then your 24v will be able to supply the MESA 7i77 BOB card with voltage -- Which then energize the 24v relays for the 120v Air Solenoids, the motor drivers and what ever else is needed. You may even want to install a standard ON/OFF switch too, thus enforcing the *PROPER* use of the E-Stop and not as a ON/OFF button. They're probably even more elaborate and/or ways of doing this.

Thanks, Connor
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Connor....

Hey thanks man I have been reading a lot about it too. Today I spent the whole day working on my Wife's Isuzu trooper. It has been running kinda crappy and hard starting and sometimes it would stall at lights etc. I read up on it and found that the intake manifold gaskets and other vacuum leaks can cause this so I tore the whole upper and lower intake off and replaced the gaskets and the thermostat and got it all sealed up with a new throttle body gasket and PCV valve as well. Took most of the day since I got some bolts that were around the back of the manifolds that were a real ***** to remove. It is all back together now and seems to be running a lot better.

I am not sure I want to mess with a charge pump setup on the machine. The 24v setup can be killed entirely with the estop and effectively shut down power to the entire machine except the computer itself. I know the original control did not have that and while my old RF45 CNC machine did have one it was more of a pain in the butt then anything else. Essentially all I want to have is that when I smash that big red button EVERYTHING that takes 220v will be dead. The rest I can deal with in other ways. I am going to try to get some time to take a picture of the electronics enclosure where I am talking about so you guys can see what I am working with, perhaps it will help me get some suggestions. Peace

Pete

a little update.....

Been doing a little more work on my Cinci out in the shop today. Mostly more cleaning and arranging wires and trying to extricate the stuff that's staying from the stuff that's going. Still cannot believe all the wires in this monster. Knowing basically how it will be wired after I am done it is really interesting to see the differences. I got a piece of stainless that may work for mounting the nice new monitor into the pendant, it was given to me by a friend so I gotta measure it and see if it will fit or not.

Spoke to a fellow who imports a lot of Chinese commercial motors and drives and got some pricing for those from him in a phone call today. The prices are reasonable but I want to do some more research on them. They are apparently made by a company called Mige and are supposedly one of the bigger names in Chinese machine tool motors and drives..

Still trying to find a buyer for some of these original components but being this time of year that might be difficult. Hoping someone steps up and picks them up so I don't have to post them on fleabay.

Sitting here in my bed keeping nice and warm listening to my Dire Straits playlist on my studio headphones. Love some of their music and man it is cold and windy outside today here. Supposed to maybe be getting some snow too..... glad I got the wife's trooper running nice we might need the 4x4 LOL.....

I'm thinkin I may pull the Fiero GT into the shop tomorrow and try to install my new fuel lines someone sent me on it. Its been apart for awhile now and it sure would be nice to be able to take it out for a cruise soon. Also gotta put some new taillight housings in there after I get them polished up. After all life is not all just CNC right...LOL peace and Merry Christmas to all of my CNCzone friends....

Pete

Pete,

I have read through this thread and I am watching intently. I know wherre there are two Arrow 1000's sitting that I can have for the cost of moving them. Both controls are completely dead with missing parts.

This thread is goving me hope that I can retrofit a newer control on them and have useful machines.

I need to go back out and see what else this guy has.

Good luck and keep it up.

Merry XMAS to you and your family Pete.

Now get back to work!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Dragonman...

Hey man nice to meet you there, yeah the Cincinatti I have here is now basically in the same condition that you are saying those two are, not working and missing parts LOL... Only difference is mine is missing parts because I gutted the thing!! The retrofit of my machine is well underway but I am as usual suffering from cash flow issues. If you have the cash to buy the parts necessary to do a retrofit on one of these machines handy it would go MUCH faster. For me I have my rotary phase converter up for sale along with every electronics based component in the machine with the exception of the relays and solenoids that control the toolchanger and all the limits and homes etc. Also I am obviously keeping the original spindle motor. The rest is already removed and will be replaced with some commercial motors and drives and the spindle drive is also going to be replaced.

Actually I got a phone call from a fellow yesterday who might be coming on wednesday after Christmas to look at my phase converter. If he buys that thing I will be ordering at least two if not three of the motor/driver combos for the machine. After that I will be needing to sell some of the original control parts to pay for the spindle drive. Then I should have everything I need to complete the conversion and it will just be time and doing the work as I need to. Thankfully the rest of the machine is operational as far as mechanical and pneumatic stuff is concerned and the spindle seemed to work okay. If I had not gotten laid off just before Christmas I would have already ordered the parts I need. Instead It was all spent on bills and making a nice Christmas for my family. We are now enjoying ourselves and I sincerely hope this new year is better for us than this past year has been. I am actually looking at a decent sized job to do for a customer and I have already done a bunch of work for him that will be getting started just after the holidays so that is a step in the right direction. With any luck I will be able to keep that kind of work coming in and get the parts sold for the machine soon and be able to get this retrofit done sooner rather than later. Right now I am still working on getting the computer setup finalized and mounting the enclosure inside the electronics enclosure on the machine. It seems like the computer setup that Connor helped me with in both setting up and ordering will be a good one.

If you do grab those cinci's take some pics of them for us to see. I don't know much about them other than what I know of my own machine so not sure how much help I would be to you but I will help if I can. Good luck and Merry Christmas...peace

Pete

Fannblade...

Hey thanks man and Merry Christmas to you and yours too! I am going to enjoy my family and some great food today, we are doing kind of a mini-Italian seafood feast here not the big 7 seafood feast but since we are just my family and my stepkids coming kind of a short version LOL... It is gonna be really good is all I know. We got a whole bunch of delicious italian olive and feta cheese type salads and peppers stuffed with prosciutto and mozzarella etc etc.. I am gonna eat a ton I am sure but hey it is a special occasion right!!

I also am gonna work on my Fiero GT some more I am trying to detail the engine bay which is actually pretty damn clean for the age of the car. It is an 1985 Notchback GT Red. I managed to get my new fuel lines all cleaned up and wire brushed and shot a coat of semi gloss black paint on them. They look brand new now and should clean up the engine bay just a tad more. Next step once it is back together and running is to tackle the wheels via stripping them and repainting the mesh centers black and then I am gonna lower the car.

Anyways, again, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of my CNCzone friends. Peace

Pete

Thanks Pete

Pete, glad to hear things are finally looking up for you.
    I lost my shop on the 27th due to a suspicious fire that started in the vicinity
    of the exhaust fan behind my air compressor. This time of year it isnt
    used. I want to thank you for this thread as I will probably be going the same route with my Cincy vmc's. Now its time to read,read and read some more.
    Scott

Slowlearner....

Hey man I am terribly sorry to hear about your fire. Nothing sucks more than a fire and it is USUALLY a complete loss. Glad to hear you have the Cincinatti machines to retrofit. My retrofit is getting stalled by the fact that I lost my job and have only been able to sell one of the original control parts which was a spare. I have as yet not posted them on ebay due to the extra charges they are putting on there but I may just have to eat some fees to allow me to sell these parts and get moving with the retrofit. Right now I am working on some paying projects in the shop and trying to get my Fiero GT running so I can use it as a spare car and fun car when necessary.

The machine is still getting worked on here and there between holiday stuff and other work so it WILL get done at some point. Post your own thread so we can see what you have and what your plans are for it and we can both learn from each other. Good luck man and peace

Pete

HAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS!!!

Hey everyone, hope you are all enjoying this New Years Celebration. I wish all of you a great 2013 and I sincerely hope that all of your CNC projects come to life and work the way you want them to LOL...

I am still slowly plugging away at this retrofit and hope to be able to get this machine working in the near future. I had to send back that nice waterproof dustproof industrial keyboard/touchpad I ordered because it did not seem to work and yesterday I received a box with a new one in it from the Post office lady. Luckily it seems to work fine and it is actually a pretty sweet little keyboard. The touchpad is quite responsive and easy to use and it has the mouse buttons if you don't like tapping the touchpad. It should work real well for this retrofit and it is nice to only have to run the one wire USB to have both a mouse and a keyboard thru the machine to the computer in back. We shall see how it works in the long run but right now I am definitely pleased with it.

Been working on my Fiero GT too and it is running better but it STILL has some kinda occasional miss that is quite frustrating but I will find it soon enough. Got to drive it around the other day and that was real fun even not running that good I love the way it drives, like a big kids Go-kart LOL... I even popped the sunroof out and dropped the windows despite it being less than warm out LOL... The car has a lot of potential and I cannot wait to get it running good so I can start working on the interior and body restoration. Gonna be a sweet little ride. Peace

Pete

Well sports fans....

Have not posted much lately on this retrofit because not much has been happening with it. I have not had the funds to purchase the new parts so the project is at a standstill here. Well fortunately today that has changed some. I managed to sell off the original power supply unit for the machine This should allow me to finally purchase one axis motor and driver package for the machine. This will allow me to finally get the control conversion going and be able to see some movement from an axis. If I can get a single axis working I should be able to make the whole machine work so this first step is important. If all goes well I should be able to order the stiff by Thursday or Friday. I am still trying to sell off the rest of the control parts to finance the rest of the components for the retrofit. I will post here as things progress. I had to revert to taking on a woodworking job in the shop to keep busy but that is progressing nicely....peace

Pete

Congrats on the sale. One small step for a vmc... a giant leap for... everyone who is following your thread and pulling for you!

Hans....

Hey thanks man, I am excited to be finally getting a drive set here soon. That is a big step towards getting going finally with this machine. It has been pretty frustrating going so far with all the issues but I will not rest until this monster is making chips. Thankfully there have been many here who have been helping me yourself included along the way and with any luck I will be able to get all the essential pieces to finish this thing off. I had a couple folks interested in my rotary phase converter over the last couple weeks and I honestly though that would be gone and I would use that money for parts but so far nobody has come thru with the money. I am confident that the parts I am selling will sell and allow me to finish the retrofit along with whatever cash I can scrape up along the way it is just taking longer than I had hoped. The fellow who bought the power supply said he MIGHT be interested in buying the rest of the components soon for spares so I am gonna say a little prayer he does. Between the remaining components and the rotary I should be in good shape for getting the new parts I need and be able to breathe some life into this thing...peace

Pete

Hi Pete,
    What did you finally decide to get for servo motors and drives?

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Mike,

Honestly I had not entirely decided but I have until Thursday to do it. I was leaning towards the DMM servos mostly because of the style of the connector on the drive would make wiring it up a Tad bit easier and their prices were the most reasonable. However I did not take into account the Canadian import duties or whatever which might make them on par with the other contender the Teflon drives and motors from Machmotion. Honestly having spoken to a couple of folks who have used the Record motor and drive setups in their retrofits and been given glowing reviews I am now leaning towards these drives and motors. Wish I could sell the rest of this stuff off a bit more quickly soil can just plunge in and do this thing but it is what it is. Honestly knowing what I already paid for some of the repairs of my old control setup and hearing the horror stories of some others repair prices I am kinda surprised that they have not sold already since I am pricing then well below what a current repair of a similar component would cost. Really if I sold my rotary phase converter that would get me a long way to having the parts I need. It will get done here and honesty getting this first drive and motor package running will be quite a bit of work and learning so I am pleased that I can finally do that. Lots to do on the build just to accomplish that so it will give me some time to sell the rest of the stuff while I am working on this part. Still open to hearing any other suggestions on alternate motors and drives especially if it will save me some cash as long as the parts are quality....peace

Pete

pete from TN

Have you talked to DMM about there shipping, they will ship them from the US if you needed it done that way
    Mactec54

mactec

Honestly no I have not done that but have spoken to them at length about their drives and they actually seem to be quite nice. Last time I called them tho I got a huge cell phone bill not realizing they are in Canada LOL.... wondering what a shipping charge would be for a motor and driver combo. Might have to email them here today and see. Got a LOT of work to do in the shop as I spent a lot of time trying to get that part mailed out overnight yesterday. Peace

Pete

Page 42 of 56 32404142434452