586,119 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z offset setting

I know yall probably are sick of hearing this question but I have a z offset question here is what I understand from running a vmc. I touch my tools to the top of the work piece and input that number from home position to the corresponding h value for that tool i then run my program. say i switch to another part that is of different lenth in z i can simply add or subtract that number and input in to my g54 ext. Ok now I must use an horizontal boring mill i want to refence all my tools to the edge of the table say i touch off all my tools to the table put them in their corresponding h values. ok here is where i get confused say i move my w can I just then touch my tool to the table again and then + or - that number from my g54 ext and then when i run a program and have it start 2.0 above the part it the tool willl go to that location ? Setting z has been the hardest problem to leaning cnc. I am very thankful to all who help and realize these basic questions may be a bit elementary. I hvae no problem running a vmc and I am very happy to run a horiszontal as I operated manual hbms for years I am just nervous hoe best to control my z and w axis

1.) TAKE THE MASTER TOOL AND PLACE IT IN THE SPINDLE
    2) ZERO THE Z AXIS IN ABSOLUTE AND MAKE SURE ON THE READ OUT ON THE RELATIVE SCREEN IS Z0.0000
    3.) MEASURE THE TOOL LENGTH OF THE MASTER TOOL BY TOUCHING THE REFERENCE POINT IE (TOP OF TABLE OR TOP OF VISE OR TOP OF GAGE BLOCKS)AFTER TOUCHING THE MEASURED FACE,LEAVE THE TOOL IN THAT POSITION !
    4.) INSTEAD OF REGISTERING THE MEASURED VALUE TO TOOL LENGTH OFFSET NUMBER ,REGISTER IT TO COMMON WORK OFFSET OR ON OF THE G54-G59 WORK OFFSETS UNDER THE Z SETTING [IT WILL BE A NEGATIVE NUMBER]
    5.) WHILE THE MASTER TOOL IS TOUCHING THE MEASURED FACE [SET THE RELATIVE Z-AXIS READ OUT TO ZERO!]
    6.) MEASURE EVERY OHTER TOOL USING THE TOUCH OF METHOD THE READING WILL BE FROM THE MASTER TOOL TIP [NOT FROM THE MACHINE ZERO]
    7.) ENTER THE MEASURED AMOUNTS UNDER THE H-OFFSET NUMBER IN THE TOOL LENGTH OFFSET SCREEN IT WILL ALWAYS BE A NEGATIVE AMOUNT FOR ANY TOOL SHORTER THAN THE MASTER TOOL

NOTE: MASTER TOOL DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE LONGEST TOOL OF ALL. CONCEPT OF THE LONGEST TOOL IS STRICTLY FOR SAFETY
    CHOOSING ANY OTHER TOOL AS THE MASTER TOOL , THE PROCEDURE IS LOGICALLY THESAME , EXCEPT THE H OFFSETS WILL BE POSITIVE FOR ANY TOOL LONGER THAN THE MASTER TOOL. CONVERSELY THEY WILL BE NEGATIVE FOR ANY TOOL SHORTER THAN THE MASTER TOOL IN THE RARE CASE WHEN THE TOOL IS THE SAME DISTANCE AS THE MASTER TOOL THE OFFSET FOR THAT TOOL WITLL BE ZERO

AFTER THE MASTER TOOL LENGTH IS SET AND REGISTERED INTO THE Z AXIS OF THE WORK OFFSET , ENTER THE DISTANCE TO FROM THE TOOL TIP OF THE NEW TOOL TO THE TOOL TIP OF MASTER TOOL AND REGISTER IT TO THE APPROPRIATE H OFFSET NUMBER. IF THE LONGEST TOOL IS AND ACUTAL TOOL ITS H OFFSET IS ZERO

OK WITH THAT SAID AND DONE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I MOVE W IN A HORZONTAL MACHINE CENTER DO I HAVE TO RE TOUCH OFF MY MASTER TOOL TO THE WORK SURFACE EVERY TIME I MOVE IN W?

Using a master tool sounds confusing, offset is always measured
    from spindle nose to workpiece, and tools will have their real
    tool lenght measured externaly with a proper tool setter.

When i have a known measure to the mill table, and from that i
    am calculating the offset to the work piece..

Quote Originally Posted by dcutler35 View Post
    OK WITH THAT SAID AND DONE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I MOVE W IN A HORZONTAL MACHINE CENTER DO I HAVE TO RE TOUCH OFF MY MASTER TOOL TO THE WORK SURFACE EVERY TIME I MOVE IN W?
    No. You do not HAVE to retouch off tools when moving the W axis. What you HAVE to do is some way compensate for the change. So, how do YOU plan to compensate for the change in W? Do YOU plan to change work offset? Do YOU plan to change tool offsets? Do YOU plan to change programming? Or, does YOUR machine have the ability to automatically compensate for offsetting when W is moved? (The last one I seriously doubt.)

All of your questions could be answered by testing at the machine so that YOU can see what is happening when you make a change. Set up a part and program and tool on YOUR machine with W at one location and run it. Then move W and run again and see if machine automatically compensates. Then change your work offset equal to the amount of W change and run and see what happens. Then put work offset back and change tool offsets equal to the amount of W change and run it and see what happens.

AS ALWAYS TXCNC MAN YOU HAVE SOME REALLY GOOD ADVICE AND I THANK YOU ALOT, I AM GONNA TRY THAT I WISH I COULD TRAIN UNDER YOU YOU ARE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE

One solution would be for G43 to call a macro that adds the current position of the W axis to the current tool length 'wear' offset. You would have to ensure that W was fully retracted and set to zero when setting tools. You would also need a disciplined program format to avoid mishaps.

Of course, this assumes that you have wear offsets and macro capability on the control.

DP

I HAVE TO USE A MASTER TOOL I DO NOT HAVE A TOOL SETTER. i DO THINK THAT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER BUT I SIMPLY DONT HAVE ONE AVAILABLE YET

Spindle nose is always zero, if you zero spindle nose on a paralell piece
    on the table then you can set all your tool from that.

With a predetermine G54 or whatever, you can easilly set all your tools.

Quote Originally Posted by dcutler35 View Post
    AS ALWAYS TXCNC MAN YOU HAVE SOME REALLY GOOD ADVICE AND I THANK YOU ALOT, I AM GONNA TRY THAT I WISH I COULD TRAIN UNDER YOU YOU ARE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE
    TX,
    It's a lot nicer to help folks like dcutler35, isn't it?? And DP, FYI, no, I probably would not fit in very well in San Fran if you know what I mean.

:cheers:

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dak1 View Post
    TX,
    It's a lot nicer to help folks like dcutler35, isn't it?? And DP, FYI, no, I probably would not fit in very well in San Fran if you know what I mean.
    Please enlighten me...

DP

Aaaaahhhh.....just got it

Thought you would! LOL

Have a good one.