586,598 active members*
3,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RC Outrunner as Spindle motor
Page 3 of 3 123
    Wizard,

The brushless motor and controller are Hobby based (RC airplane hobby) so they are meant for batteries and varying voltages that come with multiple cell batteries. I'm not concerned with the stepper motor part of the conversion, or the motor mounting part....it's easy (at least for me).

The only unknown for me is the powersupply strictly for the RC brushless motor spindle. I doubt an unregulated supply would work with a speed controller that was designed for a regulated supply (battery).

PS:
    I am very cheap and like projects, so yes I believe it is worth it for me to CNC the G0704 that I got for free using as much stuff as I allready have on hand to keep the cost as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dogon1013 View Post
    Wizard,

The brushless motor and controller are Hobby based (RC airplane hobby) so they are meant for batteries and varying voltages that come with multiple cell batteries. I'm not concerned with the stepper motor part of the conversion, or the motor mounting part....it's easy (at least for me).
    The mention of stepper motors was simply to highlight the issue of finding odd power supplies off the shelf.
    The only unknown for me is the powersupply strictly for the RC brushless motor spindle. I doubt an unregulated supply would work with a speed controller that was designed for a regulated supply (battery).
    Actually you want unregulated when working with motor controls. Very few if any of the servo systems I've ever worked on made use of regulated supplies.
    PS:
    I am very cheap and like projects, so yes I believe it is worth it for me to CNC the G0704 that I got for free using as much stuff as I allready have on hand to keep the cost as low as possible.
    Yes I understand that but sometimes you end up spending more time, effort and money trying to rig up something than simply going out and buying the required materials. Especially when the surplus market has lots of DC motors available.

I'm not so much concerned with the RC motor itself but rather the cobbling together of a control solution for it. Electrical safety is important even for DIY projects.

I would love to see you pull this through, even if it's just for informational value. Screw efficiency! I want to see something that a lot of people have been talking about, but very few have actually done! I have seen a few videos scattered around, but I would love to see more.

I briefly looked into modifying microwave oven transformers, but got scared. Perhaps you are brave enough for this adventure? I have no idea how big a challenge it would be to use one, but they should be able to deliver a lot of power for little money (Get a broken microwave oven or two).

Electrical safety is certainly a concern. I will start the project using the batteries I have.

Shoot, the battery may last long enough to actually machine some parts.

The power supply is easy. HP ESP120.

HP ESP120 226519 001 2950W Power Supply Free Shipping | eBay

You can snag these for even less if you look around. 51.4V, 57A. They require 220VAC single phase, but that's probably not a big deal if you need 3kW anyways.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...hp?f=7&t=32829

If you need more current, these enclosures can be snagged for a reasonable cost as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-239162-00...item1c2dd178c8

228A @ 51.4V is no joke.

I have some larger 6 and 12, 30 volt transformers and a bunch of power supply(30 or so) caps if you guys want to give them a try. I have almost nothing in them so shipping + a few bucks and I will pack them up.

I have a few more than are not in the picture. I pulled most from some larger UPS supplies. I think the larger one is 10 or 15A rated but you could pull more.

The big one in the middle is 14V at 15.8 pounds. I should have two of them. You could pair them up to give a easy 30A.

I like transformers for good overload load properties and they almost never fail.

This is what they made
    Flat Rate for!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0647.JPG   SANY0648.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    Thanks for the links. I did want to stick to 36 volts, but for that price I could certainly try 48 volts.....I know the speed controller can handle it, but not sure about the motor. Technically 36 volts is over the suggested voltage...More voltage would allow for increased speed, but it was not necessarily designed for that much speed.

You can series 3x ESP135's (DPS-600PB) for 36V. They are 47A 12.15V, have standard 15A IEC's and work off 110VAC. You do need to remove the DC ground to series them, or isolate the chassis on 2 or 3 of them and cut the ground on the input.

Both solutions cost about the same, which is stupid cheap. I only have minor experience with the ESP120's, but a whole lot with the ESP135's. They are VERY high quality SMPS. You can even pull up the output voltage a bit, and they are designed to run in parallel and share current. Active PFC, tons of output capacitance, exceptional over current capability...

Page 3 of 3 123