586,069 active members*
3,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

expectations on cheap chinese 40W laser

I plan to build a 100-150W CNC laser sometime in the future, but I have been thinking of getting one of the under $1,000 Chinese lasers first to learn more about laser cutting and engraving and to get some experience before doing things wrong on building the bigger laser. Working with the smaller laser will also help me to figure out what size of big laser I will really need and/or if I would be better off upgrading my CNC router instead.

What thicknesses of materials and cut speeds can I expect to get on the 40W? In particular I was wondering on max speed on 1/8" acrylic, max speed on 1/4" acrylic or if it will even cut that thick, and speeds on 1/16" and 1/8" plywood and 1/4" if it will cut that thick. Also wondering about 1/8" masonite since I use that for patterns to cut metal with my Heck Trace-a-punch nibbler.

Hi, Brian,

Even from China, you can buy only a mini machine if only $1000 budget. That will be more like a toy machine and has some differences from the larger machine. The software, the linear.. all different.

The working ability of such a mini machine will not be so good. The engraving result will be not as good as larger machines. But 1/8" acrylic cutting should be OK.

Melody
    [email protected]

Smile G.Weike Laser Factory-Abby!

Hi,

Here is abby,from G.Weike Laser Factory.

First, glad to know you want to build a bigger power laser machine in the future.i must to say, 100W-150W Tube is mainly for cut.To be frankly,60W tube is best for engraving. Then 80W is good. Bigger power Tube engrave not good, but could cut better.

Second, i introduce you our WK40 Laser Engrave. It is 300x200mm working table,40W Tube,Up and Down Table by hand,Exhaust Fan,Small water bump and so on.

It is optional for you to chooes the system and software.
    I will send you on private messange to tell the price.

Third,40W is a small tube. It can suitable your requirements.But i dont think it could cut 1/8'' and 1/4'' plywood.

Forth,pls think about the difference between small cheap machine and big machine. Small machines are with small tube. It will not good for engrave and cut the macterial you metioned. If you have any questions,pls fell free to contact with me!

Many thanks and BR.

Abby
    G.Weike Laser Factory
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    Web:laser engraving machine?laser cutting machine?cutting plotter at G.WeiKe
    Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    I plan to build a 100-150W CNC laser sometime in the future, but I have been thinking of getting one of the under $1,000 Chinese lasers first to learn more about laser cutting and engraving and to get some experience before doing things wrong on building the bigger laser. Working with the smaller laser will also help me to figure out what size of big laser I will really need and/or if I would be better off upgrading my CNC router instead.

What thicknesses of materials and cut speeds can I expect to get on the 40W? In particular I was wondering on max speed on 1/8" acrylic, max speed on 1/4" acrylic or if it will even cut that thick, and speeds on 1/16" and 1/8" plywood and 1/4" if it will cut that thick. Also wondering about 1/8" masonite since I use that for patterns to cut metal with my Heck Trace-a-punch nibbler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workshop 1.jpg   2nd Floor.jpg   8 WK40A Laser Engraver.jpg  

Do not buy those cheap 40 watt chinese machines , they are absolute rubbish and give the bigger and better machines a really bad name.

Rodney is straightforward but also told what I think in my mind. Mini machines made from China cheaper than USD1000 are really not worthy buying. If you really have interest to study. 300mmX400mm working area small machine gives an example. But that cost about $2000.

Melody
    [email protected]

The main thing you will learn from the cheap laser is frustration judging by the many posts about them on this forum. Better save your money for the bigger machine. The cheap lasers have very poor software, cannot engrave and cut from the same file and they have poor fume extraction. The linear guides are low quality and many of them don't have a height adjustable bed.

I own one of the 'cheap', 40w lasers. Yes, they are very frustating and do not have the 'bells and whistles" that the big guys have. But it only costs about $740, and if you are on a budget, they are useable. I have had mine for about 6 months now and can tell you that the software is very difficult to get used to. I have produced some very good engraved pictures on slate, wood, acrylic, and granite. It does take some practice, though. As far as the machine itself, mine had initial problems. The power supply went bad after about 2 months, it was replaced within 2 weeks by the supplier. (took some doing, but it was replaced). As far as cutting goes, I have been able to single pass cut through 1/8" hobby plywood, and acrylic. 1/4" requires 2 passes (sometimes three) to get a good cut. To engrave really well, I purchased a 24.5 focal length focusing lens. Which meant that the air assist nozzle I purchased would not work for the 24.5 lens, it would not allow the material to be placed close enough for focusing. I made my own. I am using an air pump that is built for an aquarium. Not the best solution, but it works for me. It has 2 air outlets and I use both of them hooked up to one nozzle. I modified the bed on my machine so that I can manually raise and lower it for focusing. In summation, these cheaper machines are not meant to compete with the larger, more expensive machines. I am on a fixed income and my laser is fully adequate for what I do with it. Build what you need, modify other parts, and it will work. I plan to begin building a larger machine such as the one on buildlog.net. I already have the laser tube, power supply, steppers, lenses, stepper power supply, etc, in this machine. I consider this machine a building block toward a better one if I so desire. Not everyone has the money for the larger machines. I am not completely happy with my machine, but it works. Most of the vendors here can sell you a clone of the machine I have, but they would rather you buy a better machine, its business.

Milt