586,075 active members*
4,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 50 91011121321
    I wasn't suggesting you buy that motor, it was just an example of a "real" motor with a "real" encoder mounted.

Sensorless Vector drives I have used in the past specify speed regulation to +/- 1% or less. That means that the actual speed is within 1% of the setpoint. That means that your "S-word" is the same as the motor speed so you don't need an encoder. You know it is correct so there is no need to measure it.

You can setup the spindle control to output a signal that can be converted into an analog voltage to control the VFD.

Matt

I guess its something I have to address when the time comes. So all I need is that unit.

Back to working on the way covers. Should have that done tonight. Then the table is 100% completely done, and ready to go into the enclosure, level and prep for concrete pour.

Yeah.......Hurry up!! I want to see this baby working!

It is coming along nicely and smart move on the swarf guards overlapping.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cjsamples View Post
    Yeah.......Hurry up!! I want to see this baby working!

It is coming along nicely and smart move on the swarf guards overlapping.

Chris
    Thanks! I am QUITE pleased with the swarf control on this machine. Got 1 done, 3 more to go. Putting the kids to bed, then its back to work.

Made the goal of finishing swarf tonight, and I came through:

Simple shower pan liner. $5.00 per 1x5' off the role. $20.00 spent. Thats not even A SINGLE BELLOW cost. As sexy as I wanted this build, I just CANNOT justify the cost of anything other then the PVC material. I have had it over a year on my X2 and it still functions as desired.

I haven't trimmed the edges off since I want to wait until the enclosure is done. I have a neat idea to keep each side taunt with springs and some aluminum dowels, but that will have to wait until later. Really just superficial at that point. All potential runoff seems to be directed off the baseplate.

I like! your moving right along!

The good thing about that material is the it wont easily catch swarfs, almost just slides off as the machine moves. The folding ones just catch them too easily.
    www.VicRC.com

Yup, thats the exact thing I read in their papers. I see no reason to not follow in their footsteps with a SL/V drive.

For some reason I can't get my cell cam to work. I started fitting the table in the enclosure and started positioning the table for its final resting place. I decided i wanted to expand the gantry deeper (Y+/-). If i don't The table is set way to far back and with all that travel, I run the risk to hitting something.

In other news I actually sat down on the table. i was able to push my entire body weight with a single finger. So my entire body weight, and the weight of the aluminum slabs is no problem for those bearings.

I can't put into words how exciting this build is for me. ALSO... in MORE news... I scored another set of linear rails! Something I want to try out More on that later.

Just ordered the GS3 SL/V drive, braking resistor, and line reactor.
    What gauge wire does anyone suggest going from the controller to the motor? 14-16awg?

Nate,

The Tormach version of Mach has the calculations done for the spindle speed. You tell the UI whether you are using high or low range and it takes care of the rest for you. I am sure that what they are doing isn't uncommon so you should be able to find how it is done easily enough.

bob

I like Igus Shielded wire for motors (no surprise huh?).

Either 14 or 16 should be plenty. If you bought an over-sized drive, I'd oversize the wire to match.

Matt

Z axis plates/spindle mounts

Here are the Z axis plates. What will bolt to the rails, and then the spindle mount will go on. 1" thick aluminum. 2 in all:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-12_06-20-04_296.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	174856

Name:	2013-01-12_06-21-14_153.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	174857

The spindle control and gecko drivers will be in this week. In the meantime I have to find some aluminum extrude on the cheap. Any suggestions other thatn ebay?

Will be filling the ones I have with concrete, and working on the electronics. I want the computer, and controllers all in one box. A very fun project in itself.

Remember to add non shrinking stuff to concrete. I believe it is aluminum powder. I also use the fiber strand stuff in the mix that I put in my extrusions.

Can you tell me more about how you did it and the materials you used? Wasn't fun trying to get the concrete into the small openings. LOTS of pounding of the beam to pack the stuff, but WOW the beam is VERY rigid and heavy.

I just poured concrete into the 2x4 main beam that supports all the I-beams in my base.

Here is what I will be using for most of the gantry's long runs:

Name:	1545.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	174971

The uprights will be the Metric 45x90 profile. I already had those, but I found the 1.5x4.5's to be much stronger then the 45x90 (which are beastly in their own right)

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    I see in the link they show the current recommended method for shielding.
    Surprised no one brought it up?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I see in the link they show the current recommended method for shielding.
    Surprised no one brought it up?
    Al.
    Let's not start talking about best practices until after my SWAG doesn't work, ok?

Matt

Thats a bit over my head.

In any case, I read the stuff I am getting is "vibration proof". Does that mean that there is no resonance? I personally can't believe it. I think I would feel better if it had some concrete/sand filling in it.

Name:	1545.PNG 
Views:	54 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	174979

8020 (another company I love ) calls it vibration proof because the fasteners won't loosen from vibration. The legs of the t slots are intentionally canted inward so that when you tighten the fastener, it applies a spring load to the fastener which helps prevent it from loosening. Any structure has resonance, it is just a matter of making sure the resonant frequency is outside of it's working envelope so that the resonance does not become an issue (Tacoma Narrows anyone?). No matter what you do, you will still have some vibration, it is just a matter of how much.

Matt

ok, MUCH better explanation. Thank you. I will see if my daughter wants to help mix concrete tonight.

Page 11 of 50 91011121321