586,096 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hydraulic system noise

Does anyone else get this anoying high pitch harmonic noise from the hydraulic system on their lathe? It sounds just like the old emergency brodcast system test. The one that goes, "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." It's not all the time, just when I'm all ready irritated. It's not the pump, and it comes and goes depending upon where I have the pressure set and my current level of frustration. Oh, and to complicate things further, the pressure it starts doing it at changes as well. This has gotten on my last nerve! I also just got a Marvel cnc vertical band saw. Great machine... It also makes the same noise. Both machines have plenty of hydraulic fluid and niether are overheating. It's like both machines are compeeting to see which one can be more anoying than the other. Any help would be apreciated.

P.S.

I'll have earplugs in the rest of the day. If you respond, please type loud enough for me to hear.

SOUNDS like the pressure relief valves from you description.

Is that something that needs to be fixed, or is it working properly? Thanks.

Noise is generally caused by excessive pressure or air the the system.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by double a-ron View Post
    Is that something that needs to be fixed, or is it working properly? Thanks.
    Its kinda normal, it's caused by excess fluid pressure opening up the spring in the valve. Too much and they sequel like that, and it creates heat. Im not surprised with the Marvel doing that, i know you like yours, but our new one is kinda built like its slapped together by monkeys with whatever they had laying in a corner.

We think ours fell off the truck a few times between Wisconsin and Miami. Which model did you get? I have "Modified" ours quite a bit by removing all the guarding that makes it impossible to load without breaking your back. All in all though I'm happy with it. It easily paid for itself the first year and makes slugging parts on the lathe easier. I cut through 11" of 4142 with it, that was pretty cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG160.jpg  

Hydraulic Power Unit Noise

I have seen the pressure adjustment valves for the tailstock and chuck make a noise like the one you described. You can see if the noise changes pitch when the pressure is adjusted. Most Haas lathes use part number 59-0439, but your dealer can look up the part using your machine's serial number.
    Steven Hawthorne
    Haas Automation, Inc.

hydraulic system

Look their is a lot of component and parts in the hydraulic power pack.like pump,suction filter,motor,oil level indicator,breather filter,direction control valve,pressure reducing valve,pressure gauge,return line filter, pressure relief valve etc. May be one of them give noise. May be it is pressure reducing valve. You can check all the filters. For details you may visit : Hydraulic System Used In CNC Machine.