586,061 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 6T startup procedure?

I have a new to me Mori-Seiki TL5 with Fanuc 6T control. From what I understand the 6T is one of the first versions (has no CRT)

Anyway, trying to start this machine up.. Main power switch on back goes fine, fans and hydraulic motor turn on. Go to control and press power on, LED's light up etc, I press "Control On" and nothing happens. I have no alarms, the "Label Skip" and "Data" LED's are lit.

Trying to track down the previous owner to inquire but thought I'd check here maybe I'm overlooking something simple.

Thanks

Fanuc 6

You said is a fanuc 6?
    I think you have a fanuc 5T in your hands, but regardless check the voltage going to the machine, and or reset any breaker .

Any specific volatages/locations I should be checking the voltage on? I've read that the 24v in the control is a picky one.. mine is bang on 24v. Will double check for any tripped breakers.

99% sure the control is a very early 6T. I read a thread here somewhere that the early 6T's did not have a CRT? I have the original build sheet for machine, and it says 6T as well. Attached are pics of the control unit and the control panel on machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by laka View Post
    Any specific volatages/locations I should be checking the voltage on? I've read that the 24v in the control is a picky one.. mine is bang on 24v. Will double check for any tripped breakers.

99% sure the control is a very early 6T. I read a thread here somewhere that the early 6T's did not have a CRT? I have the original build sheet for machine, and it says 6T as well. Attached are pics of the control unit and the control panel on machine.
    Hi laka,
    What you have is a very early Series 6T. The first Series 6T had no CRT screen, but not long after their first introduction, a version having a CRT screen came about; both were referred to as 6T model A.

1. When you say that the Data LEDs are on, do you mean that they're all on?
    2. When you get to the stage that the Data LEDs are on, are you able to move the slides in Manual Mode (Jog or Hand Wheel)?

Regards,

Bill

The DATA LED is just the single one on the control itself. Dont think it means much at this point as I can get it to turn off by cycling through some buttons on the control. So at this point the control does turn on when I press the main power button, but when I press the "Control On" button the servos do no turn on and I cannot move either axis or actuate the chuck.

fanuc 6T

Hi laka, first I have ta say that you guys are right about the old fanuc 6 control.
    Now do you have hydraulic pressure?

When I turn main power breaker on the hydraulic motor does start but I have no pressure on the gauges. The blower fan on the spindle motor, the headstock lubrication pump are also running. Phase rotation is correct.

Fanuc 6

Switch to of the wires going to the machine, that may just fix the problem.

The phase is set properly, and I did try starting the machine with the phase reversed and still no luck. Occasionally when I press the Power On button I see a quick flash from the LED above the "Control On" but that is all

Have spent all day on this and havent came up with any solution... All voltages seem ok, all cables seem to be connected and seated properly, all fuses and breakers seem to be ok, the "control on" switch is working properly. Any other suggestions appreciated tnx.

Have spent all day on this and havent came up with any solution... All voltages seem ok, all cables seem to be connected and seated properly, all fuses and breakers seem to be ok, the "control on" switch is working properly. Any other suggestions appreciated tnx.
    Hi laka,
    Obviously there is no viewable PLC ladder available for this control, but if you have the Electrical Manual for the machine, you should find a schematic in Ladder form of the control interface with the machine. From this you will be able to trace from Power On right through to Control Ready. Accordingly, you will see what should be happening at the various steps of the Start Up sequence.

Regards,

Bill

The phase is set properly, and I did try starting the machine with the phase reversed and still no luck. Occasionally when I press the Power On button I see a quick flash from the LED above the "Control On" but that is all
    Do not let go the "control on" button. Keep on pushing it to see if the servos turn on. If they don´t, then you probably have an emergency condition. Maybe a hard overtravel. I am not sure if this Moriseiki machine has a button to bypass the hard overtravel. If it does, it should be located to the right side of the operator panel. Also check for a blown fuse in the servo units. You should see the alarms. You should locate the cursor in the alarm led and then if there is an alarm it should appear in the display.
    Regards
    Alex

without hydraulic pressure the control will not work and the servos won't turn on.

If there is an emergency condition, or alarms, the hydraulics will not work.
    Regards
    Alex

Hydraulics come on immediately when I turn on main power to machine. Machine is not hard over travelled, and emergency stop doesnt seem to be the problem either. I checked all the door switches and all seem to be functioning fine (and closed when I am trying to start machine)There is power going to the control, display turns on etc, but using the Control On button still gets me nowhere. I did check the wires for the actual Control On button and it is working fine and sending +24v back through the cable to the control unit. Still looking for any ideas, thanks for all the advice so far.