586,060 active members*
4,341 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

v23 reinstall

Hi,

I have been having an issue with what I call involuntary zooming. I have posted about this and have not gotten it resolved,

I just now uninstalled v23 and reinstalled it and it will not start. I keep getting the error message that BC has encountered a problem and has to close.

Can anyone give me direction as to what is wrong?

Thanks,

Ernie

If you are running Vista or 7, set privileges to run administrator.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I am running XP. I am not computer literate to log on as the admin.

Ernie

Ernie,
    You have to start with a full installer and then run the update, but this can get tricky if the install is messed up. Can you call support to help you get it back up and running?

The issue has to do with the tools files most likely. I am providing Instructions below to correct this for you. Please do not remove the text files located under the Taps folder and also do not delete the dxf and bbcd files located in Lathe Technologies

Instructions:
    If the software will not open this is usually an issue with the tooling or machine file having a corruption or improper installation settings. There are two methods of fixing this. Method 1 below has many steps but method 2 will work and is simplified, but requires uninstalling the software.

Method 1:
    First check that it is not the tooling or machine files causing the issue. To do this, open windows explorer, navigate to the milling technology directory.
    Located in either:
    C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V24\MillingTechnology\
    Or
    C:\Program Files\BobCAD-CAM\BobCAD-CAM V23\ Milling Technology\

In the Milling Technology folder there are more folders. Delete the contents of these folders and sub folders (Do not delete the actual folders only the files.).

See if the software will open, if not repeat this process for the Lathe Technology directory.

If the above steps do not solve the issue, delete the Milling and or Lathe Machine file,
    Navigate to your post directory.
    Located in either:
    C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V24\Posts\Mill
    Or
    C:\Program Files\BobCAD-CAM\BobCAD-CAM V23\Posts\Mill

Delete the MillingMachineSetup.bin file.

Method 2:
    If Method 1(listed above) does not resolve the issue or seems too complicated, the following steps will correct the issue as well.
    1. Backup any post-processors that you may have modified.
    2. Uninstall BobCAD-CAM
    3. In windows navigate to the C:\drive If you only purchased V24 then delete the BobCAD-CAM Data Folder. If you have other BobCAD programs installed then go into the BobCAD-CAM Data Folder and delete the BobCAD-CAM V24 file.
    4. In windows navigate to the C:\Program files\BobCAD-CAM\ directory
    5. Delete the BobCAD-CAM V24 folder
    6. Re-install the software.
    For V23:
    2. Uninstall BobCAD-CAM
    3. In windows navigate to the C:\drive\Program Files If you only purchased V23 then delete the BobCAD-CAM Data Folder. If you have other BobCAD programs installed then go into the BobCAD-CAM Data Folder and delete the BobCAD-CAM V23 file.
    4. Re-install the software.
    For V23 with a 64 bit Operating System:
    2. Uninstall BobCAD-CAM
    3. In windows navigate to the C:\drive\Program Files(x86) If you only purchased V23 then delete the BobCAD-CAM Data Folder. If you have other BobCAD programs installed then go into the BobCAD-CAM Data Folder and delete the BobCAD-CAM V23 file.
    4. Re-install the software.

Sean P Daugherty
    BobCAD-CAM Technical Support

Unhappy

Burr and Seanda,

I did as Burr suggested and downloaded the latest version of 23 from Bobcad and the software loaded okay.

The reason that I did this was to see if I could eliminate an issue that I had been having, involuntary zooming. It did not help, the problem persists. When I click select and move the cursor into the drawing space it automatically zooms or if it does not zoom at that time it will zoom when I click on the line.

This is very frustrating.

Ernie

What is the graphics card and driver date that are on that computer?

SeanDa,

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT version 6.14.12.9610 dnd the date is
    20120229235800.000000--000

Ernie

edit: I am not sure if that is the date that you want. I got the info by opening BC v23 clicking help and then system info. If you suggest a different video card that would work in concert with BC and be better than what I have now, I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    What is the graphics card and driver date that are on that computer?
    Ernie would really benefit from a remote logon by tech support....

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    If you suggest a different video card that would work in concert with BC and be better than what I have now, I will do that.
    I have a nVidia Quadro FX 600, very, very good, it is a "business" graphics card as oposed to a "gaming" card.

My current PC has an i7 processor, a very fast SSD (Solid State) hard drive, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and 8 Gb of Ram with space for another 8Gb if I ever find I can use it

Didn`t come cheap but it was put together by my local PC shop who contacted several CadCAM software producers (A couple of "high end" ones included) and put the machine together based on all the info they got back, all the companies they contacted responded and even gave extra info to help with the build, was worth the money I reckon so far anyway

I`ve struggled in the past with computers and some CadCAM programs but with the budget limit I gave them I think the guys did a pretty good job.

I`ve just been testing out my new 64 bit installation of V25 on it and done a couple of things, did a little 3D test program and it saved out at 6.5Mb, the PC will open that in less than 2 seconds so it`s pretty quick, generating the toolpath for that job took less than 5 seconds as near as I can check it !!

Since I got the machine back end of last year (November) the amount of time saved may even have paid for it by now, wish I had "bit the bullet" and spent the extra money a long time ago

Just for general info folks

:rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

Sean,
    I went through method 1and the "zooming" problem is still there. I am reluctant to try method 2 .

Ernie

I had a chat with a tech service guy. Due to my hearing problem I probably missed a lot. I do not remember his name but he pulled up something on my computer and said that I should update it. That is one of the things that I missed. I do not know what it was that he wanted me to update. Is there anyone from BC who can get this info for me?

Thanks,

Ernie

There is a good chance it has to do with the graphics card. That is generally what we recommend for people having issues. Here is some information for you.

Software crashes usually pertain to one of a couple things. Below are (trouble shooting) steps that should resolve the issue.

1. Make sure the system meets our minimum system requirements. If working with solid models and other 3D work make sure your computer meets or exceeds our recommended system requirements. Below is a link to our system requirements.

FOR SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
    1. Go to our website at:
    CAD/CAM Software Products | BobCAD-CAM
    2. Select the product you need the requirements for.
    3. On the left side of the screen for the product you selected Left-Click Tech Specs.

2. The Graphics card driver may be out of date. Even if the card or computer is new, the graphics card driver update can be done by going to the computer manufactures website or to the graphics card manufactures website. Below is a video that will show you how to update the driver.

Updating the graphics card driver: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVbrJGDRwl8]BobCAD-CAM V24 Getting Started 1 of 15 - YouTube[/ame]

3. The windows system is out of date. BobCAD-CAM depends on windows for many of its functions. If the windows system is out-dated this can cause system instability. Below is a video that will cover updating the Windows system.

4. Visual effects within BobCAD-CAM can also be tailored to suit the system to increase performance. Right-Clicking on your BobCAD-CAM shortcut and Left-Clicking properties brings up a new window. Left-Click Compatibility at the top of the new window the Display settings and input settings will alter the performance.
    **Do not check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and if it is checked please un-check it at this time".

Updating the Windows:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVbrJGDRwl8]BobCAD-CAM V24 Getting Started 1 of 15 - YouTube[/ame]

If none of the above solutions solve your issue you are encountering please contact us while at your computer so that we may resolve your issue. The technical support number that we may be reached at is 727-489-0003.

Sean P Daugherty
    BobCAD-CAM Technical Support

Ernie,

Give me a call and I will do the update for you. This is Sean from BobCAD-CAM Technical Support. I will also try to pull the previous ticket to call you back

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    Ernie,

Give me a call and I will do the update for you. This is Sean from BobCAD-CAM Technical Support. I will also try to pull the previous ticket to call you back
    BobCad support is really stepping up a notch.... Good luck Ernie!

They really have,even before 25 came out.Up to 3 to 4 staff replying between here and BoB's forum.And on top of that they have been aiding by phone and computer linked support.BoB is definately entering a new Chapter in their software.Less issues,customer support,via forums,I am starting to think I don't have to answer soft spoken and garbled when someone asks what kind of software do you use.Heck,the Bashing may even subside in the future......................except I was told..............Tell them Burr.............

I got a hold of Ernie and seems like the issue corrected itself. I spent some time on his computer getting him completely up to date so as of this time, I am just waiting for a response on here to see if the issue was corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    except I was told................
    It's very simple math.....

Go here:

CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! - Powered by vBulletin

Then look all the way to the right of the screen to a column named "Posts"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easy_info.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	160993

Scroll down that column and ponder it for a moment......

Smile Solved

This is for anyone who is knocking Bobcad. The software works great. It is the nut between the chair and the keyboard ( me ) that is usually the problem. Had I been on the ball and kept everything up to date I probably would not have had the problem.

All of that said, Sean from Bobcad called to let me know that he could and would fix the issue for me and I accepted. He took over my computer, did all my updates etc. etc. I have been using the CAD side of BC and the issue seems to gone by the wayside. I must commend Sean for his patience with me ( I am extremely hard of hearing and have been since I was 5 or 6 years old complicated by my uncanny ability to misunderstand words as they are pronounced ).

Thanks to Sean and all others who have given advice and suggestions.

Ernie