586,106 active members*
3,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What do you think of Fine Line Automation?

What do you think of Fine Line Automation?

I was thinking about going with a Shark Pro Plus HD with extended bed but am now looking at the possibility of DIY Fine Line Automation FLA 300. The setup seems sturdier. If you have the time could you give me some input regarding the following questions:
    1. Is Fine Line Automation reputable?
    2. Do they provide good technical assistance?
    3. How about the software? How does Mach 3 match up to Vetric Aspire? Can Vetric be used with FLA 300?
    4. What are the X,Y, Z axis limitations for the FLA 300? The Shark I was looking at is approximately 24 x 48 x 7.

I am a total newbie. I've built two airplanes so have no back off on DIY projects. As a matter of fact, I prefer a DIY because you really get to know what you are building. Might the FLA 300 be too much for a newbie?

Thanks for any assistance you could share.
    Mazzy

If I were you, I'd go with the kits offered by CNCRouterParts.com. Their products are very good and they are well known for their support. Do a search for Fine Line Automation on this forum and you'll find a number of negative reports about the support you can expect from him. (BTW most critical parts for the FLA kits are available from CNCRouterParts.) I saw a Shark router at Rockler last year and was unimpressed with its construction.

I had a Shark Pro+ (not the HD) and it was an O.K. machine to get started. But I ended up using it mostly to fabricate the parts for my home-built machine and sold it after a few months.

What ticked me off was the flex of the machine. But if you look around their forum you will find a few folks who use it for professional sign carving so it is not completely useless. I could even machine some aluminum pieces for my new machine when going slow and shallow.

The CNC control software of the Shark is very primitive (or let's say beginner-orientated) compared with Mach3 or the Planet-CNC software that I am using now.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    3. How about the software? How does Mach 3 match up to Vectric Aspire? Can Vectric be used with FLA 300?
    Mach3 and Aspire are different types of programs. MAch3 is a machine control program, which actually runs your machine.
    Aspire is a 3D modeling and CAM program.
    Aspire allows you to import, or create, artwork and 3d models, and create toolpaths for them. The toopaths are then exported as g-code files.

Mach3 reads the g-code and runs the machine.

FineLine is reputable, but can be slow to ship, and even slower to reply to emails. He does ship everything that gets ordered, and his customers seem to like his machines, but are very unhappy with the service.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here's a couple of links to builds made with the CNCRouterParts.com kits:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...g_crp4848.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...it_euro3d.html

BTW, I have no relationship with CNCRouterParts.com except that I'm a very satisfied user of a number of their parts.

Thank you for your data

This was a reply from Don. I am posting it so all can learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzy
    Thanks for your reply Don. Very helpful!

How about the software? How does Mach 3 match up to Vetric Aspire? Can Vetric be used with the CNC Router Parts kits?

Do the kits have good instructions and easy to assemble?

Keep in mind, I'm a total newbie at CNC. Do the kits come with good instructions on how to use the machines?

Thanks for your help,
    Mazzy
    I don't have any personal experience with the CNCRouterParts kits. (There are a number of build logs using those kits on the CNCZone forums where the builders seemed to indicate that they had good instructions.) I have personally purchased many of the components CNCRouterParts.com sells and can say that they are of very high quality and the instructions that came with the parts I ordered and the instructions CNCRouterParts.com has on their website where quite satisfactory for my needs. I understand that CNCRouteParts.com has readily available support by email and by telephone.

I personally use both Mach 3 and Aspire and find them to be excellent for my needs. Note that Aspire is pricey.

Aspire allows you to design projects (CAD) and to create scripts of "g-code" commands which specify how your machine will cut your project (CAM). Consequently, Aspire will work with any program than converts g-code into actual machine instructions. (Mach 3 is one of many such programs)

Mach 3 takes g-code command files (from any source) and actually runs your machine. I have found it be work just fine with my router and, I believe, most hobbiest (and many professionals) use Mach 3 in their systems.

I'm happy to write these sorts of messages to you but suggest that you post them in your thread so that everyone on the forum and read them and share their opinions with you.

Good luck with your build.

Don

I have ordered from CNCRouterParts and had no problem he was quick to ship and the parts are very well done.

While Fineline is more of a kit being everything is cut and included, if your handy at all going with a cnc router parts machine is a better way to go because unlike Nate at Fineline Ahren at CRP provides great service!

I'm very happy with my CRP 48x48 and plan to use it for years to come. :cheers: