586,036 active members*
3,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Tracing / cutting around letters like this sign

Tracing / cutting around letters like this sign

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr..._-_randall.jpg

I'm using Aspire. I want to make something similar to this, is there an easy way to do the outline around the external letters like this picture..."for time and eternity" outside of creating line vectors by hand? I'm guessing there must be an easier way than this?

Thanks!

I did something similar on a small sign I made recently. I just used a 1/8 ball nose and traced the outline of the letters after they were machined and it left a nice clean edge around all the letters. I set my start depth like 1/32nd lower than the finished surface at the base of the letters.

Not sure how they did that in the picture you showed, play with the toolpaths in aspire the previews are pretty accurate of the outcome on the finished piece, if you dont like the toolpath just delete it and start over.

Im definately not an expert but Im sure someone with more knowledge of aspire will provide an answer. I used v-carve pro to make my sign but most of the basic options minus the 3d stuff is the same.

look what I found

Wedding Plaque - Let's Talk ShopBot

exactly how he did it

In Vcarve Pro and Aspire is a tool named Offset Selected Vectors.

You can draw a random cluster of shapes and text, then select all of the vectors, choose the Offset Selected Vectors tool, check the Outwards/Right box, and set the Distance to whatever offset you want. Apply, and this will put a closed outline vector around the whole cluster of vectors. It may generate other closed vectors, but they can be deleted if not appropriate. This works around a line of text also. If you want to do individual text characters and cut right up to the character, set the offset to 0.001" or so.

There are many creative ways to make use of this tool.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com