586,121 active members*
3,005 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > HELP drip feeding a fadal 4020a using mastercam x2

HELP drip feeding a fadal 4020a using mastercam x2

hey everyone i am fairly new to 3d programming and have just programmed my first large 3d program using mastercam x2, only problem is the memory on my fadal vmc 4020a isnt large enough for the whole program, i have read that u can drip feed using a dnc software, but i have no clue how to do this any help would be hugely appreciated. i am using mastercam x2 to program and post and the machine is a fadal vmc4020a with fadal 88hs control, thanks in advance for anyhelp

p.s. i use rs232 cables for communication thru a a/b switch box

Copy the page from the Fadal manual on this topic and post it here as reference. Then we can walk through it.

Have you ever sent a program thru your RS232 before to the control? I am wondering if you have the right cable configuration as fadal has a certain wiring on there RS232.

And if you have sent a program to the machine thru your MC to load into the control?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

we are going to add to your code a leading line and set the control to "command" and the control option of single block on then (if you answer correctly to my first questions):

DNC
    %
    O5336 ( TEST REV: )
    ( TEST )
    (MACHINE TOOL : FADAL FORMAT 1 )
    (DATE - 05-04-12 )
    (TIME - 13:54 )
    (*)
    (MATERIAL: )
    (STOCK SIZE: X = 0. Y = 0. Z = 0. )
    (HOME POSTION COORIDNATES ARE THE FOLLOWING)
    (X= )
    (Y= )
    (Z= TOP OF PART)
    (*)
    ( TOOL - 3 DIA. - .75 3/4 FLAT ENDMILL )
    ( TOOL - 1 DIA. - .5 1/2 BULL ENDMILL 0.0313 RAD )
    ( TOOL - 2 DIA. - .5 1/2 BALL ENDMILL )
    ( TOOL - 4 DIA. - 1.49 1.49 DIA SLOTMILL FULL RADII )
    (*)
    (USING FIXTURE OFFSETS: E1 E2 )
    (*)
    G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
    T3 M6 ( TOOL - 3 3/4 FLAT ENDMILL DIA. OFF. - 3 LEN. - 3 DIA. - .75 )
    ( ROUIGHS OP6 SIDE FIN. )
    G0 G90 X-2.4116 Y-.4223 E1 S4584 M3
    G43 H3 Z3.5792 M8
    G8
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Yes i use a rs232 as my regular means of communicating with the machine control, normally i send the nc file to the control by using cd,8 to set the fadal control to 9600 baud rate and than ta,1 to accept an nc file from mastercam's post processor, but i usually just store them in the controls memory and run them from the control, but now that i have gotten into larger 3d parts and programs the controls memory will not hold a whole program. i have never used dnc and have never drip-feed or streamed a program before

Do you know what the default baud is for your machine and why such a low baud rate. ps that is the old default baud value for the fadals. if you set the control to default to the 9600 then you can just use the TA,1 and not worry about the CD,8 command.

I add to my fadal posts by defaualt of TA,1 so the machine just needs to be in "command" mode to except a program.
    Cadcam

the default baud rate is 9600 in the control and i assume it is that because it is a older machine it cam from the factory

so i should try adding ta,1 and dnc to the begining of my post before the % symbol and the o line

you are correct as it came from the factory that way so you do not need to worry about the CD,8 just make sure MC is set for the right baud..

And yes try adding the DNC and the TA,1 by that if you are drip feeding (DNC) or loading (TA,1) following the instructions from the post earler about DNC single block is important that the machine will start running other wise by it self when you send.
    Cadcam

im new to programming so not really sure how to set the control to single block, i tried adding ta,1 to the beginning of a post and sending it over and the program locked up between the machine and the comp

here is an example of my post:

TA,1
    %
    N1 O0001 ( JAWS_TEST )
    N2 ( CREATED ON 05-30-12 AT 11:48 AM )
    N3 ( MCX FILE - M:\DAVE\MASTERCAM\MCAMX\MCX\MILL\12388032_RECEPTCA LE_ASS\JAWS.MCX )
    N4 ( NC FILE - M:\DAVE\MASTERCAM\MCAMX\MILL\12388032_RECEPTCALE_A SSM\JAWS_TEST.NC )
    N5 ( MATERIAL - ALUMINUM INCH - 2024 )
    N6 G20
    N7 G0 G17 G40 G80 G90
    N8 ( 3/4 FLAT ENDMILL TOOL - 1 DIA. OFF. - 1 LEN. - 1 DIA - .75 )
    N9 ( ROUGH OUT POCKETS )
    N10 T1 M6
    N11 A-0.
    N12 G0 G90 S2800 M3 E1 X0. Y0.
    N13 H1 Z.375
    N14 Z-.14
    N15 G1 Z-.34 F150.
    N16 G41 D1 X.175 Y.175 F28.
    N17 G3 X0. Y.35 I-.175 J0.
    N18 X0. Y-.35 I0. J-.35
    N19 X0. Y.35 I0.

so the option of putting the DNC at the front of code did not work well with your 88 control. but you should be able to do the normal and set it it from the command line instead of typing TA,1 type DNC this is how this control runs DNC drip feeding. Do you know how to set the single block option on?
    there is a a switch if I remember on the 88 control on the upper left hand side.I do not have a control in front of me. David can you take a picture of the control then I can mark it for you.
    Cadcam

so at the machine, from the command screen type dnc
    then in mastercam go to the communications menu and send the program as a normal program
    is there anything i need to do to the post file
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1506.jpg  

That is correct Dave, but have the single step on so when you send the machine does not take off running unless you are ok with that.
    Review picture for the button for the single step and another picture of aprt just did with a customer about a month or so ago on a fadal using DNC as the programs got kinda big. ps same 88hs control.

OH ya did you see my post on LinkedIn to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1506.jpg   photoFinish1.jpg  
    Cadcam

i am not entirely sure what i am doing wrong but i cannot get the computer and machine to work together to drip feed, i keep getting a parity error and it locks up mastercam and my machine, im not sure if i need to send the program from mastercam or from mastercam editor, right now im am running the program broken up into 4 parts, i typed dnc then hit enter went to my computer hit the comunications icon in mastercam picked the send button, then picked the nc file it starts to send then locks up and says parity error. i should be able to get this, utterly frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by DLIDGEY80 View Post
    i am not entirely sure what i am doing wrong but i cannot get the computer and machine to work together to drip feed, i keep getting a parity error and it locks up mastercam and my machine, im not sure if i need to send the program from mastercam or from mastercam editor, right now im am running the program broken up into 4 parts, i typed dnc then hit enter went to my computer hit the comunications icon in mastercam picked the send button, then picked the nc file it starts to send then locks up and says parity error. i should be able to get this, utterly frustrating
    So, every time you are wanting to send the program, you are re-posting it?

no i am not reposting it, i save the posts to my main server memory

This tells me that your setting in MC do not match the settings in the control.
    Do you ussally use the editor or the default com for sending files?
    Cadcam

normally i use the comm icon to send and store programs to the machine and have never had a problem, i have never used the editor to send a program only edit the post