586,060 active members*
4,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Inches, how can you live in stoneage?
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Once you step away from fractional inches, I do not see that English (inch) system is worse or better than French (metric) system. You can carry decimals out to whatever factor of precision and accuracy is desired. Trying to argue which country or nationality of culture is better or worse because of their measuring system is kind of stupid. One should use some other parametric such as productivity or income per capita.

the great pyramids seem to be doing fine and used neither system.

"There is a basic unit of measure contained therein called the pyramid inch. It is called that because it only differs by the British (and American) inch by about one mil."

Couldn't help myself
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Once you step away from fractional inches, I do not see that English (inch) system is worse or better than French (metric) system. You can carry decimals out to whatever factor of precision and accuracy is desired. Trying to argue which country or nationality of culture is better or worse because of their measuring system is kind of stupid. One should use some other parametric such as productivity or income per capita.
    Well it seems to getting personal for some users here, my thread is not that serious. It has nothing to do with other than user friendliness.

I beleve a US Sattelite crached due to mixing of inches and metric calculation some years ago, so a unified unit would be prefered.

Geof, I agree, Canadian paper money is prettier than American.

The US of A has been trying to change to the French metric system since 1790. Seems Thomas Jefferson thought it was a good idea.

I use both systems every day. I prefer the metric system. I do not mind the English system in spite of it not being as orderly as the metric system.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by Anders6612 View Post
    a US Sattelite crached due to mixing of inches and metric calculation some years ago, so a unified unit would be prefered.
    Not the only metric/imperial mix up. Do a search on; 'Gimli Glider'.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Ya, trying to argue inch metric is like arguing NASCAR is not real racing. (it's not btw. Ohhh another left turn, whoopy)

Watch the post fly now!

I am an idiot, posting this in an all American forum as it seems,
    or is it only US users that take offence/interest? :wave:
    However, Europe is to blame, and i feel shame.
    Inch is not exactly an US invention.
    Now, bite me. :withstupi

Motivate why you still use the old system.
    Well metric is alright when it comes to close tolerances in machining but....

Since England changed to metric we got and still get ripped off,why? well when I want a length of wood of 2ft I have to buy a 1metre length just to get that 2ft and the rest is waste.

1 meter is how far light traveled in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
    What kind of 'meter',was it? tacho,amp,resistance,volt?

I am an idiot, posting this in an all American forum as it seems,
    or is it only US users that take offence/interest? :wave:
    However, Europe is to blame, and i feel shame.
    Inch is not exactly an US invention.
    Now, bite me. :withstupi
    This is hardly an "only US users" forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    This is hardly an "only US users" forum.
    I know that, so i put you in category 2
    Still, a constant is better than a human body, tho it is all nature for reference.

And still, 0.0001 inch is 2.54 times resolution than 0.001 mm
    A constant.

Ha, you guys and your wide open tolerancing. Try dealing with micro inch stuff, .0001" and one micron is child's play! Working on a machine right now that's in nano-meter range. What a pia. Too many zeros to the right of the decimal place. At that point, it doesn't matter inch or metric, it's still confusing!

I'm from the us btw, and I do wish we would switch over completely. It's worse for us simply because we get about 50/50 inch/metric. Ya, it would suck for the first year or two, but once we got used to it, no big deal! I think it was all how you worded the title.

I think it boils down to what u are used to and comfortable with.
    I grew up in a metric system and later had to work in a metric+inch system (US).
    The first thing I missed with the metric system in my transition was how units in the same category scaled by factors of 10 -- mm to cm to dm to M. Getting used to the inch to feet to yard to mile was a challenge (still not completely used to the volume side of things).
    But today, I am so used to working with inches that I have to convert all my metric length units to inches just to get a feel for how long they really are.
    Today, when I see 25mm, my brain goes that's approximately 1inch. then I go... oh yeah, that's how long it is.
    I still hate the conversion aspect of things though.

Quote Originally Posted by 007CNC View Post
    I think it boils down to what u are used to and comfortable with.
    I grew up in a metric system and later had to work in a metric+inch system (US).
    The first thing I missed with the metric system in my transition was how units in the same category scaled by factors of 10 -- mm to cm to dm to M. Getting used to the inch to feet to yard to mile was a challenge (still not completely used to the volume side of things).
    But today, I am so used to working with inches that I have to convert all my metric length units to inches just to get a feel for how long they really are.
    Today, when I see 25mm, my brain goes that's approximately 1inch. then I go... oh yeah, that's how long it is.
    I still hate the conversion aspect of things though.
    I have understanding about hundreds of inch, that you can calculate.
    But when we talk about 1/16 etc, i am lost like a blind lesbian in a fish market.

I was constantly having to deal with metric prints, getting them converted by the DESIGNER.... simply because the end result was going to be for ultimately metric measurements, and I could not be held responsible if stuff didn't mate up with metric gear from Sweden or Russia.

If I have the mating gear, I can take measurements and ensure an interface. I can convert from metric-inch-metric, if you want to pay for my time to do it. Just don't hold my feet to the fire if you drop it in my lap without absolute constraints.

What is funny, is the arrogant guys who'd come into the shop and berate me for not having metric machinery. I'd tell 'em if you don't like it, then buy me the machinery, and if you don't.... then don't bother me.

I've had stuff I've made in space, in commercial aircraft, in national labs and used to make products you use every day...all made in inches. Pure stone age. Yeah. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    I was constantly having to deal with metric prints, getting them converted by the DESIGNER.... simply because the end result was going to be for ultimately metric measurements, and I could not be held responsible if stuff didn't mate up with metric gear from Sweden or Russia.

If I have the mating gear, I can take measurements and ensure an interface. I can convert from metric-inch-metric, if you want to pay for my time to do it. Just don't hold my feet to the fire if you drop it in my lap without absolute constraints.

What is funny, is the arrogant guys who'd come into the shop and berate me for not having metric machinery. I'd tell 'em if you don't like it, then buy me the machinery, and if you don't.... then don't bother me.

I've had stuff I've made in space, in commercial aircraft, in national labs and used to make products you use every day...all made in inches. Pure stone age. Yeah. Right.
    Sweden or Russia? great comparison.
    Well, as you know, Sweden is pure Commies.
    I think you are a sour old fart, at least you sound like that.

Metric is SI units (system idiots). The system is intended so that a grade school teacher can instruct dummies how to convert units. It handicaps those industries who use the units so that it is more accessible to the least educated person.

There is no reason why a jeweler, an astrophysicist, a farmer, a physician, and a brick layer should all be forced to use the same units just so someone ignorant to the specific trade has an easier time doing conversions.

I do not mind the metric system where the application is useful. I do object to forcing everyone to use it regardless of what is being quantified.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprirs View Post
    Metric is SI units (system idiots). The system is intended so that a grade school teacher can instruct dummies how to convert units. It handicaps those industries who use the units so that it is more accessible to the least educated person.

There is no reason why a jeweler, an astrophysicist, a farmer, a physician, and a brick layer should all be forced to use the same units just so someone ignorant to the specific trade has an easier time doing conversions.

I do not mind the metric system where the application is useful. I do object to forcing everyone to use it regardless of what is being quantified.
    Yeah! some 53 years ago Us and England decided that one inch is 25.4mm
    Just about time.
    International inch. (Idiots, no industry)
    Just joking.

.....I think you are a sour old fart, at least you sound like that.
    Cheer up, you can become a sour old fart in another 20 or 25 years.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Cheer up, you can become a sour old fart in another 20 or 25 years.
    Yes, but that is legitimate, cos i get pension at that time.

Page 2 of 4 1234