586,067 active members*
5,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: z axis

z axis

I am kinda new at the whole cnc thing, and I am about to build my own table. Can anyone on here help me with designing a automatic z axis, and give me a heads up on any shareware that can control xyz axis, torch height, and turn torch on and off? how about free programs that have nesting? or am I just gonna have to fork out some moola to aquire a copywrited program. If so can anyone suggest a lowbuck program? thanx

Z Axis & Machine Control Programs

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb
    Can anyone on here help me with designing a automatic z axis, and give me a heads up on any shareware that can control xyz axis, torch height, and turn torch on and off? how about free programs that have nesting? or am I just gonna have to fork out some moola to aquire a copywrited program. If so can anyone suggest a lowbuck program? thanx
    Design of your "automatic Z axis" would involve:
    -vertical guides that could be pipes & skate bearings, sliders, linear bearings & shafts etc.
    -a power transmission method such as an acme threaded rod, rack & pinion gearing, chain drive or other.
    -drive motor.
    -torch heigth control package to interface between the PC controls & the position of the torch relative to the work surface.
    A low cost control program worth consideration, that has many features is Mach3.

thanx for the help man. does your table have a computer controlled z axis? or is it just manual? One more question, I am looking at motors and drivers, what does anyone suggest? I have heard good things about gecko, but I was curious about the package deals on hobby cnc. does anyone have input, good or bad? thanx again

Z Axis

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb
    does your table have a computer controlled z axis? or is it just manual?
    The Z axis is motorized for positioning. It does not have an automatic voltage sensing torch heigth control to vary torch position during the cutting process.